Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a John Deere 310A backhoe/loader that I am wrestling with. There is a "block" on the side of the transmission that keeps leaking on me no matter what I do. Changed an Oring a while back (#7 in parts diagram) and it stopped, but it started again and I can't seem to fix it.

There are 2 "ports" in this part which mount flush to the side of the transmission - which I believe is the pressure control valve. The issue I am having is one seems to be triangular - but when I look online at the diagram it says it is circular and calls for an O-ring. Does anyone happen to know if the 310A had a special gasket here and later on they changed the part and the new one uses an Oring? Is there a part I can still get for this one - or am I seeing things wrong in this tight spot? Any assistance would be appreciated. I am trying to avoid taking the whole part out as it is a tight spot. The "port in question is #8 on the part diagram and is partially visible in the bottom left on the second picture.

Can anyone give advice?

JD310A_HydaulicLeak.jpg

20180916_161343.jpg

tp5089_________un01jan94.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is this a dumb question? I am going mostly all from feeling but I swear that is not a circle hole that will take an Oring.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd really like to avoid taking the whole part off to figure this out if possible - but I need to get this running again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to GTT
Have you checked pressure control valve housing to be sure that mating surface is flat/level?
The mating service looks flat/level and never appears to have been removed from what I can tell. It's this one port that mounts flush to the side of the transmission with no matching port in the transmission that seems to be leaking. I'm not a tractor mechanic by any means but rebuilt engines for cars and the like and you dont normally see two metal surfaces mounting together with a port without a gasket of some sort. Trying to head out the door now to take another look before it gets dark - but man it gets dark early now. :think:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The second "port" in question is definitely square/triangl-ish, not a circle - and has no recess for an oring or gasket. I am a little baffled. I dont see how a gasket could even go here - but I don't see how two metal mating surfaces would not leak. Also there is no port in the transmission to match - so I imagine that is there for another model or just for the space to "bleed out." This is not the hole with the pressure control part. That is a circle and an Oring fits perfectly. I have tried torquing it down many times in different patterns and it ranges from one thin like of a leak to 2-3 separate lines of fluid leaking out. I had fixed this part leaking before but it didn't last all that long. Maybe a month and started leaking again and all I did was change the one Oring.

At the moment I am just baffled. Any advice is good advice in my book.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SOLVED!

It is a squarish port - but it has a recessed O-ring around it that I was not seeing due to insufficient light. Changed it (#8 I believe) and all is well.

Duh!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts