Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the syncro quadrant assembly. Works like it is supposed to. When I went to hook up the shift rods to the transmission, I couldn't get the range rod to move from the all the way up position. Could something have moved too far in the transmission? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Welcome to GTT
My guess is shift drums in quadrant aren't lined up correctly. Can you shift quadrant into all 4 ranges & fwd/rev? IIRC shifters in trans can only move a set distance BUT it's been many yrs since I looked inside a Syncro-range trans.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Did you have the rods disconnected at the bottom? If so, you had to slide the shift arm at least partly off of the shifter shaft. When the arm was slid back on, did you check it for proper endplay? You should have approx.001"-.003". While this measurement is not super critical, if it is grossly out of spec, it could cause some binding or catching in operation. Also, did you have detent plug, spring, and detent out? If someone put in too many shims behind the spring, it can cause shifter to lock up. original equipment does not have any shims, but as detent wears or spring gets weak, sometimes shims are added to help prevent jumping out of gear problems. If you changed endplay tighter than it was on shift shaft, it will cause detent adjustment to get tighter. Parts 15, 26, 17, and 18 are detent parts for range shifter. 17 is an aluminum sealing washer under the head of the plug, and 26 is the spring. Shim washers would normally be between the spring and the plug if someone added some. If the aluminum washer is missing it can make detent tight also.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts