Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker here. Finally after almost 20 years of lusting after a backhoe for my JD4500/460 Loader, I pulled the trigger on a buying a new 485 for it. Yea, yea, I know, the 4500 is almost 20 years old but it's low hours (450) and I know all it's little quirks and it runs really well. Just did not make sense to wait for a used 48/448/485 locally that was in good shape. Good shape being the key words. 4-6 weeks wait now.

In prep, installed a power beyond kit, was pretty easy. I spent more time pre-cleaning the insides of the hydraulic hard-lines as while 'new', that was new maybe a decade or more years ago. Haha. Have a tiny leak at the ORB elbow, o-ring side. Take-apart time to see what is wrong.

Also tried to hunt down a third SCV kit (LVBM18820) but found nothing available. So got the critical items and will extend via hose to rear QD's. Would appreciate someone sending me the install instructions, would like to see how/where the push-pull cable makes it's way to the fender mounted control lever.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
We like pictures!
Pretty awesome that you were able to buy a new backhoe, for an older machine.

If you happen to come across an 8A backhoe, please let me know haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Self answer to push-pull cable routing question... Note: not my tractor, found this searching for other 4500 tractors via google.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the cause of the leak at the power beyond elbow. The ORB seal is the swivel type, there's an o-ring flat along the threads that the o-ring MUST sit it. I missed that 'feature' during install and had the o-ring sitting on the threads. You can see the flat just to right of -ring in the picture below.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I put the 3rd scv on my 4500 about 10 yrs ago.....dont remember much about it ...but I do remember I was able to do it pretty quick without disassembling all the sheet metal etc.....It comes with odd size couplers so I ended up making adaptors to regular pioneers

Also mine is 21yrs old and almost 2k hrs been/is a great machine
20180921_130025 (Large).jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts