Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 JD 4700, 460 loader, 48 Backhoe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! New to the forum. A little history...

I bought a JD4700 HST new back in 2001. Had a small farm and we did a lot of clean-up with this rig. Well maintained and serviced ahead of schedule.

About 16 years ago, we moved and sold it all to a family member who didn't use it much and only put about 200 hours on it over the time period. The tractor currently has 690 hours. They did report that the last time they used the tractor, it was very slow in C-Range when they ran back up the road after cutting a field.

We just bought it back, as we now have a significant need for the tractor again....

I just spent a week performing maintenance on the tractor, loader, and backhoe. We have changed all fluids and filters with JD fluids and filters. The Hydro fluid did not appear to have any metallic flakes and the inlet screen looked clean and normal from what I could remember. Same with the Hydro filter. Using low-vis JD fluid.

The fuel was clean and did not have any water or debris on the bottom of the tank. Engine runs good.

The tractor performs as expected in A and B, but in C-range to me the Hydro sounds bound and it will not allow to push the FWD pedal full ahead without bogging down the engine rpm even at full throttle.

I lifted the tractor wheels using the loader and the backhoe supports and tried FWD/REV in A, B, and C. C-Range with no load on the tires seemed to be working the tractor pretty hard.

4WD works correctly and is disengaging.

I've tested the mechanical brakes and they are working on both sides and I believe they are free and operable.

I did put the HST in Neutral, but the wheels will not move? Not sure what I should expect when in N.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
332 Posts
When you refer to Neutral your are referencing the range selector to the gear box correct and not just no pressure on the pedals? If you go between gear ranges or N the tractor should freewheel.

It really sounds you have brakes dragging. Might try following the linkage for the pedals and parking brake and maybe loosen it up a touch, check return springs and making sure the cam actuator is returning all the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super55

The Neutral that I was referring to is the N on the HST gear selector. In this position, the wheels do not turn.

Heading to the shop now and will take a look at the brake linkages as you mentioned.

Thanks

·
Administrator
22,659 Posts
In neutral the wheels should turn fairly easily.

Reactions: raco232

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kenny and Super55.

Just lifted all wheels and have determined the left rear wheel is locked. Checking the linkage arms for travel and that the brake arm moves freely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow...

And just like that the problem is solved!!!!

Released the clevis pin and found the brake arm was applied and holding the brake engaged. Remove the linkage to the arm, tie-wrapped the bar in place and took it for a ride. No issues...

Checking the linkage adjustment next once I lube and reconnect everything.

Really appreciate your assistance

Tom

·
Administrator
22,659 Posts
Those shafts are known for seizing where they go through the axel housing, and the little return springs for breaking.

• Love
Reactions: theduke
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.