Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a JD6420 with cab/4wd tractor. A severe oil leak has started behind the fuel tank. After inspection we believe it is the pressure hose supplying oil to the steering unit. The hose can be inspected by removing the small cover in the cab floor. There are 3 hoses of different sizes beside the air vent ducting. The hose that is leaking is the mid sized one as they are all of different diameters. The question is how to replace that hose. Hopefully without removing the fuel tank. Believe the part number is AL157268. Can that hose be replaced without any major dismantling. Appreciate any help from anyone who has done this. Thanks.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Those hoses are a challenge to change. Removing the fuel tank won't help much. The cabs tilt up on the 6000 series tractors (with special tools) and that is the way I have changed them. I can't say it is impossible to change without tilting the cab, but I am afraid it will be near impossible. I have heard of people tilting cabs without the specified tools, but you need to make sure it is supported safely. Cab is very heavy. It might be smart to replace all three lines while you are at it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If its one that goes to the back of the tractor from the steering motor to the priority valve ( one of the hydraulic valves at the back of the tractor), Ive had good luck getting baler twine or rope, attach good to one end of the hose and pull it out, drawing the rope or twine in place of the hose. Make sure the rope is long enough to attach your new hose to it and to be able to pull/ fish the new hose in the old ones place using your rope to pull it through. This has worked for me in the 10 and 20 series tractors. I might have had to partially tip a cab once out of 10 times because the hose was tight/caught between the frame and transmission, but just used a floor jack on the steps once the cab mounting bolts were removed and a couple long bolts in the pivot hinges on the right hand side of cab base.lifted it up a few inches is all it needed to clear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts