Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my JD855 (1987) early last fall, the switch under the seat that lets the pto run went bad. Acutally there was one way to install the wire harness that when you sit on the seat it crimps and cuts the wires...... Guess how it was.........

Properly installed a new one, ran OK. Lubed it a couple times this winter with WD40, (service guy said that was OK to use) Now while trying to run post hole digger, and get mower deck ready to go, the switch goes bad again.

Have a new one ordered, on back order.........
(insert missing "crybaby" smilie here)

Anyone experience this problem ?
Good solutions ?
Good advice ?
Way to fix this ?

Thanks
Wyo

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Yeah, that can be frustrating. I have not had an issue like this. Hopefully this is a rare occurance and the new switch will last. See if it is an exact replacement or if it has been upgraded. If a same-as replacement, you may want to start investigating another supplier. Sorry, I know it is much help.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Did you use an ohm meter to verify the switch was indeed bad? I do applaude you for making sure the switch is working and not just bypassing it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have to admit............. Have not "tested" the switch. Just going by the fact it is exhibiting the same symptoms as it did the last time.

At that time, I did test the parking brake / neutral switch. Did not get it to work at that time by using a jumper of some kind. May try a bypass this time to confirm what I suspect..........

Thanks for the tip.
Wyo

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not the fuse. Checked that first. Neglected to mention that in first post.

Did need to replace the fuse when I replaced the switch the first time.

A dealer not too far from me says they have a new switch. Just have to wait for the truck to make the rounds to one of there other stores and shuffle it closer.
(local dealer was NO help at all. "sorry not available, next")

Thanks for the input
Wyo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts