Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

I recently installed a D160 loader on to my JD 950 tractor. Install worked well with a custom mount. The hydraulics are operational but I don’t think they are right. I used the standard joystick valve
that comes on the D160/300e loader. This works fine when I have the three point all the way up and pump is straining. Which is why I think I may have the wrong ports on the 950.
Any advice on the correct ports and if this is just normal would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have no idea if it would help but I could snap a few pics of how the loader is plumbed on my 1050, which I think is almost the same tractor.

By the way that 950 is in gorgeous condition...man I wish my 1050 looked like that.

Reactions: ridesdirt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Any reference on which ports the lines should be connected is appreciated.
Can you tell me if the you three point has to be all the way up for your loader to operate?
thanks again

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thank you. Any reference on which ports the lines should be connected is appreciated.
Can you tell me if the you three point has to be all the way up for your loader to operate?
thanks again
My loader functions normally regardless of where the 3pt is positioned, or how the 3pt rate drop knob is adjusted. I think you have something mixed up, I'll try to get some pics tomorrow of ol' dirty. I have the old-fashioned valve body with 2 levers.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Hello All.

I recently installed a D160 loader on to my JD 950 tractor. Install worked well with a custom mount. The hydraulics are operational but I don’t think they are right. I used the standard joystick valve View attachment 785124 View attachment 785125 that comes on the D160/300e loader. This works fine when I have the three point all the way up and pump is straining. Which is why I think I may have the wrong ports on the 950.
Any advice on the correct ports and if this is just normal would be appreciated.
Thanks. View attachment 785123
Your 950 is in Immaculate condition!

·
Administrator
20,314 Posts
It sounds like you added the new (joystick) valve in parallel rather that in series. I can't understand the red marking in the first picture?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Kennyd. I agree they seem to be in series.
im trying to find information on which ports to use on the 950. The first picture was the only reference I found online so far.
What I gathered so far:
Lower left of the rate control knob is the BYD port.
Lower right of the rate control knob is the pressure port.
Side port on the case is the return drain.
This is the setup I have now giving the series type operation.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Took some quick pictures of my 1050, sorry I don't know if this will help at all, climbing over junk in fhe poorly lit part of my shop and in a hurry:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AJ
Thank you for the pictures. It looks like your rockarm control valve is different then mine. I’m assuming you have power steering?
I’ll keep you posted on what I come up with this weekend. Planning to do a build review once this is figured out. These style loaders and easy to find and not to bad in price for a NOS part.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
AJ
Thank you for the pictures. It looks like your rockarm control valve is different then mine. I’m assuming you have power steering?
I’ll keep you posted on what I come up with this weekend. Planning to do a build review once this is figured out. These style loaders and easy to find and not to bad in price for a NOS part.
My 1050 does NOT have power steering haha, which is ridiculous but just the way it is. It's not as hard to steer as you'd think, but then of course no hydraulic lines. Also, the 1050 has some weird rockarm draft adjustment lever that affects how much your 3pt attachement either follows the terrain, or maintains its height when you go over uneven terrain, I don't know if the 950 has that? Hopefully the pics might help steer you the right direction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after some more searching online I found the issue. When you add the fitting for the BYD port there is a pipe plug that needs installed behind the fitting the divert the oil flow. All good now. Thanks AJ.

·
Administrator
20,314 Posts
Well after some more searching online I found the issue. When you add the fitting for the BYD port there is a pipe plug that needs installed behind the fitting the divert the oil flow. All good now. Thanks AJ.
Good news!

The pipe plug forces the new valve to be in series, without it-it's in parallel as I mentioned in my other reply.

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That's excellent, nice job!

I also realize how filthy my tractor is... I think Id need a barrel of brake cleaner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts