Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Challenge:

Who wants to take this???? Kenny, this means you.... or Artillian Man?? Or both.....??

How about a pin insertion/pulling system that could be controlled from the seat?? Maybe two tiny little rams, one each above where the pins go to slide them up and down? Or electric actuators? Maybe a but of a 'funnel' drilled out of the top of the implement plug to guide the pin in......???

I know it's lazy, but bobcats have them, right??

-Jer.

Reactions: mjncad and Kennyd

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Skid steer quick attach can be actuated hydraulically, as can the John Deere Global QA. Neither are used on SCUT sized tractors much due to the weight of the systems compared to the lift capacity of the tractors.

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts
Well, I can't say I've never thought about it...

Reactions: mjncad

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, I can't say I've never thought about it...
Sooooo.....whatcha gonna do about it?

I may actually go out in the -25degC this evening to eyeball it!! I now have a finished garage now, so I have few excuses!!

-Jer.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skid steer quick attach can be actuated hydraulically, as can the John Deere Global QA. Neither are used on SCUT sized tractors much due to the weight of the systems compared to the lift capacity of the tractors.
A couple of mini hydraulic rams with mounts couldn't add more than about 30 lbs....

My biggest concern is that any dirt or snow on the plate of the attachment or the plate of the QA prevents the pin from lining up properly....

-J.

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
A couple of mini hydraulic rams with mounts couldn't add more than about 30 lbs....

My biggest concern is that any dirt or snow on the plate of the attachment or the plate of the QA prevents the pin from lining up properly....

-J.
If you're talking about adding automated lock pins to JDQA, that's probably pretty close. However, the SSQA and JD Global QA are both made of heavier components, along with having larger, heavier attachments to fit them.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're talking about adding automated lock pins to JDQA, that's probably pretty close. However, the SSQA and JD Global QA are both made of heavier components, along with having larger, heavier attachments to fit them.
Went out and had a look. Would have to be a system that relies more on accuracy and finesse vs. ramming the pins home.....

Will need a mount made up that will sit away from the loader linkage.

There are several small rams with 2" strokes out there that produce a lot of force. I'm wondering however about electrohydraulic combo rams so that an entire hydro circuit isn't needed for it, but rather just some 12V wiring???

Just food for thought.

-J.

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts
It would/could only be cost effective with small electric actuators or solenoids.

Reactions: mjncad

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would/could only be cost effective with small electric actuators or solenoids.
Just electric, or electric-hydraulic?

Do you think the electric would have enough ooooomph??? I know nothing about them. Would sure be a lot easier to set up.....

-J.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wonder how much tolerance there is in the position of the hole in the pin? I know they are mostly straight up and down, but a few degrees rotated left or right could cause issues with a fixed retaining pin.

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
What loader quik attach system are you using?

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Why not use a compressed gas? A small bottle of co2 could be used to activate the lock and unlock. Depending on the bore of the cylinder used I'm sure the small paint ball cylinder could cycle the lock and in lock quite a few times. And it might even be small enough to all live on the quick hitch.

Something like this:

Interstate-Pneumatics-WRCO2-K2-lg.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What loader quik attach system are you using?
The 4000 series QA on a 400x/400cx loader - hangers on the top and plug/pins on the bottom

Why not use a compressed gas? A small bottle of co2 could be used to activate the lock and unlock. Depending on the bore of the cylinder used I'm sure the small paint ball cylinder could cycle the lock and in lock quite a few times. And it might even be small enough to all live on the quick hitch.
How would they release? Are the spring loaded? There's no shortage of pneumatic cylinder choices....

This is something being looked at but is proving not easy to make for the long term.
Is it a mounting issue Chris??

I wonder how much tolerance there is in the position of the hole in the pin? I know they are mostly straight up and down, but a few degrees rotated left or right could cause issues with a fixed retaining pin.
I see the biggest issue as packed snow/dirt on the face of the attachments - that hold the pin short of being exposed enough to get the lynch pin into. I see 'funnelling' the top of the hole on the plug of the attachment as a possible solution for that.

Keep brainstorming boys!!! I have two Engineers on a beer retainer, a bored CNC tech looking for ideas, and a test platform to play with......

-Jer.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
The 4000 series QA on a 400x/400cx loader - hangers on the top and plug/pins on the bottom

How would they release? Are the spring loaded? There's no shortage of pneumatic cylinder choices....
4-way valve:

4WaySolenoidOverview.jpg

Looks like $26.00 for the valve pictured above in 12v.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
4-way valve:

View attachment 25026

Looks like $26.00 for the valve pictured above in 12v.
hmmmmm....good idea. You think one could mount a long skinny cylinder and recharge it from an air compressor, or is this something that needs a purchased cylinder of CO2?? Any specs on how hard it pushes or pulls?

-J.

ps - I looked at your link - runs from 15 to 115psi - air tank pressures. One issue may be the 'freezing temps disclaimer' on the site.

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts
Just electric, or electric-hydraulic?

Do you think the electric would have enough ooooomph??? I know nothing about them. Would sure be a lot easier to set up.....

-J.
Just electric. I jut don't see why you think you need "oooooomph", the pins just drop in from the top with little or no pressure. The only stress they see is in shear trying to be pulled through the QA shoes, never any linear up/down force.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Just electric. I jut don't see why you think you need "oooooomph", the pins just drop in from the top with little or no pressure. The only stress they see is in shear trying to be pulled through the QA shoes, never any linear up/down force.
You're right, as long as they line up 'just so'. I was imagining that a tapered/funnelled top on the hole in the post, that if the was a couple hundred lbs of force on the ram it might help make its way in without jamming. A tapered pin would help too.....

It'll be crucial that all the pin hole positions on the posts be the same from attachment to attachment - I know my Gator attachments are not the same spec as JD/Frontier.

Just thinking out loud......

-Jer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts