Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a 2007 Deere 5525 Cab Tractor with the 12/12 Power Reverser Transmission. The tractor is in excellent shape and has only 320 hours on it. When I test drove it, I immediately noticed an issue with the clutch. When letting out on the clutch slowly there is no gradual apply to ease forward or back up. It is either in or out, there is no in between. Having operated tractors most of my life as well as other 5025 series tractors, I know this is not correct. The tractor should be able to “ease” back to hook up an implement or ease forward for loader operations. The power reverser function works fine so the issue is isolated to the foot clutch.

I have read up on the foot clutch on these models, and there is a clutch potentiometer involved that reads the position of the clutch pedal. I am not sure how it works, but I am thinking it may be the culprit. The clutch itself should not be worn out as the tractor has only 320 hours, and never had a loader on it. It was used for light mowing on a hay field.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? Knowing that it has a clutch potentiometer, I would like to rule that issue out. From what little I have been able to find online, it sounds like there is a calibration that has to be done on the potentiometer, but I don’t know how to troubleshoot it or calibrate if that is the case. Thanks for any help!

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,202 Posts
The problem seems to be in the clutch assembly.
I agree with Jim that it could be a warped clutch plate. Other items may also be: a broken, or bent clutch disengagement finger, one or more weak pressure-plate springs, or one or more pressure plate retaining bolts backed off, or broken.
Either way, the tractor needs to by split to resolve the issue.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
There are other things that can make a clutch jumpy letting it out but don't take it wrong. In a higher gear you can get jumpy slipping the clutch too much. It can do it in lower gears to. Hard part is getting people to just let off and not slip it much at all. I have had a lot of tractors and never wore out a clutch or had to replace one in 25 years or so. Used to break them as a kid racing or slipping it a little for a better take off. In my Tender it took me a while to get used to the Road Ranger 13 speed tried using the clutch to ship what a pain. I learned to never use the clutch unless taking off or stopping. Just matched RPM's and timing. A bent clutch disk is easy to tell it will drag in a pattern if you let it out real slow to check. I think the clutch disk and pressure plate may not be your problem with those low of hours?

Had to replace a Hydraulic Set Up to work my clutch on my Dodge Ram it could not stay the same on each push it leaked inside it. Once I replaced it my clutch was fine and quit jumping on me.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
IIRC these have a wet clutch. I would pursue the pedal electrics.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
The problem seems to be in the clutch assembly.
I agree with Jim that it could be a warped clutch plate. Other items may also be: a broken, or bent clutch disengagement finger, one or more weak pressure-plate springs, or one or more pressure plate retaining bolts backed off, or broken.
Either way, the tractor needs to by split to resolve the issue.
If its a power reverser its basically a powershift for the forward-neutral-reverse. so there are no fingers or retainer bolts.

To the OP, I would get a service manual and start looking at the powershift valve.

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 6 of 6 Posts