Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year i had a hydraulic steering hose come loose on our John Deere 1025r and it caused me to veer off of the path while i was mowing. I ended up running messing up the two wheels on the right side. the front right wheel support is bent enough that the wheel was pinned against the housing, Additionally the outside edge of the housing is bent just a little but the deck itself is still in alignment. We have used it since but we did have to remove the front right wheel while mowing. If you think this deck scalps bad regularly you should try with only three wheels :).

I am sure if i take it to John Deere they will point me to their catalog to buy a new one, i thought about taking it to an auto body to see if they can straighten it.

Has anyone had any luck with fixing this yourself? I did have a crazy third option where i set the deck on the ground, dig a hole under one of the wheels, put the wheel back on, park the tractor on the deck and hook a tow strap up to the wheel and try to pull it straight with my truck. It's the side of the deck with the chute so i think it's a fairly weak point. I figure if the wheels took the stress of bending the deck in the first place then it will probably take the stress of trying to bend it straight.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Do you have any welding shops nearby? They may be able to fix it up for you. Best method would be for you to supply them with any direct replacement JD parts and let them do any required heating, bending, welding to get things straight again.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Have you took it off and turned it upside down and tried to straighten it. Hammer or larger pump pliers, Monkey wrench, is it the deck smashed or just the wheel mounts. I cant think of something on there that could not be straightened. Pictures would help us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a shop that we have considered dropping it off at, or at least seeing if they could take a look at it. The good news is that there is nothing wrong with the mechanics of the mower deck so i don't think that parts need to be replaced.

I was thinking that if i had them fix it up that i might have them add a reinforcing bar to the top of the wheels on the right side like the left side has (the bar that is used to guide the tractor when driving over). I feel like there was something on the other side that i wouldn't have had this issue. I mean it wasn't like i hit anything, i essentially just dug the deck into the ground when i drove off the path. But i feel like the right side of the deck is weak since not only does it not have any reinforcing but it also has the discharge chute.

·
Premium Member
14,746 Posts
There is a shop that we have considered dropping it off at, or at least seeing if they could take a look at it. The good news is that there is nothing wrong with the mechanics of the mower deck so i don't think that parts need to be replaced.

I was thinking that if i had them fix it up that i might have them add a reinforcing bar to the top of the wheels on the right side like the left side has (the bar that is used to guide the tractor when driving over). I feel like there was something on the other side that i wouldn't have had this issue. I mean it wasn't like i hit anything, i essentially just dug the deck into the ground when i drove off the path. But i feel like the right side of the deck is weak since not only does it not have any reinforcing but it also has the discharge chute.
Same thing happened to me with my 54" deck last summer.

For me I removed the front wheel

Then took my long 5' pry bar (has a tapered end ) stuck it in the top hole .

Then just started pulling back on the pry bar , just a little at a time.

Kept checking with installing the wheel to see if I had gone enough.

After one or two tries OK ,back where it should be.

Had a 1/2" or 5/8 steel rod, bent it pretty close to look like the left side.

Welded it in place and put a finish coat of paint. If I could do this again I would raise it just a tad higher , just make sure you can raise or lower the side discharge

Welded it in place , no more bent front or back wheel. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
12,337 Posts
:hide: i bent my left wheel and bracket on my 62d deck. watched it flex as i drove into a locust stump.:banghead: took the deck to a welding shop-the guy took and cut the bracket back off the deck-used a square to make sure it was square again. then welded it back on. also bent the rod that the wheel attaches to. we laid it in a jig he had there. and used his air press to straighten it back to roundness. worked wonderfully again.

take ur deck to a good welding shop-they should know what and how to fix it for ya! show us a pic of said bent spot-ok.
good luck :munch:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Last year i had a hydraulic steering hose come loose on our John Deere 1025r and it caused me to veer off of the path while i was mowing. I ended up running messing up the two wheels on the right side. the front right wheel support is bent enough that the wheel was pinned against the housing, Additionally the outside edge of the housing is bent just a little but the deck itself is still in alignment. We have used it since but we did have to remove the front right wheel while mowing. If you think this deck scalps bad regularly you should try with only three wheels :).

I am sure if i take it to John Deere they will point me to their catalog to buy a new one, i thought about taking it to an auto body to see if they can straighten it.

Has anyone had any luck with fixing this yourself? I did have a crazy third option where i set the deck on the ground, dig a hole under one of the wheels, put the wheel back on, park the tractor on the deck and hook a tow strap up to the wheel and try to pull it straight with my truck. It's the side of the deck with the chute so i think it's a fairly weak point. I figure if the wheels took the stress of bending the deck in the first place then it will probably take the stress of trying to bend it straight.
If you don't get it fixed to your satisfaction I have a like new 60 inch deck I will make you a good deal on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a three foot pry bar with a point. It was a cheap $10 harbor freight one but was the largest I could find, but we were still able to bend it back. Thanks for the tip, I didn't know you could get a pry bar with a point. Before reading your post I was literally thinking about grinding a regular one down to make it fit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts