Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

I'm a new member here and wanted to post a few pictures of my 1967 John Deere 1020 diesel restoration. I bought this tractor from a neighbor and was in rough shape when I bought it. It has 4600 hours on it but still runs excellent. I will be doing an in frame engine rebuild this winter for some fresh pistons, rings, etc., due to engine blowby. Overall, it is a very dependable tractor that was neglected for a long time, but after some TLC and elbow grease, she is now a part of the family.

I also posted a pic of a Woods Model 59 finish mower I also restored last year. I got this mower for $100.00 but the gentleman was going to give it to me for free. It was parked under a pecan tree and covered up with briers for many years but the deck and housing had no rust. I replaced the belt after a few hours use, but other than that, I greased it and sharpened the blades.....cuts spectacular!

I try to maintain all of my equipment the best that I can, but this was my first true restoration and have a few other JD's that I will be doing in the future.....1955 JD 60 and a 1949 JD A. I also have a Farmall H that will be restored, but not for a while. Please let me know what you think....glad to be a member and friends with y'all.

20141226_135659.jpg

20150315_143121.jpg

20150711_142545.jpg

20150110_151919.jpg

20141208_102442.jpg

20150103_115848.jpg

20150110_151854.jpg

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. :greentractorride:

·
Administrator
20,364 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Nicely done sir! What all did you do to the tractor?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did this restore over the course of a few months last winter. I had the hood straightened and prepped at a local body shop, but everything else was done by my hard work and persistence. I sanded and removed all rust, dirt, grease, etc. and two coats of primer to make sure everything was covered. I then applied three coats of Majik Paint and then decals. This is still a work in progress, with new axle knees since it is a HU model, but had RU knees when I bought it. I also put new lift links on it because the guy welded them for no adjustment. I finally put on a new seat and used it during the summer to bush hog, box blade, etc. It's a fantastic tractor and I prefer the older steel models. Granted I have my eye on a 5045D, but I will be keeping my old iron.

20141129_092903.jpg

20141129_092927.jpg

20141129_092939.jpg

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania. Good work on the 1020 - looks very nice.

·
Registered
448 Posts
That Looks great, wonderful job!!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Nice machine - love those 1020s.

·
Premium Member
14,132 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia

:wgtt:

Very nice looking , great job. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:good2::thumbup1gif::good2::thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
:bigthumb: Looking good. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Welcome to GTT and thanks for the pictures!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sharp looking tractor! I think you will like the old iron though a lot better than the new stuff. I have a 5055E and even though I think the frame is heavy built I think they where cheap in a lot of other areas. The old machines are just made tough all around. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Great job on the restore. You are most likely beyond the stage of needing the service manual, but if you would like/need it send me a PM with your email address.

The 1020s are a fantastic tractor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to everyone for the comments. I think it's proving itself to be a worthwhile piece of equipment. It starts very easy and from what i can tell, it sips fuel. I am debating on whether or not to do an in frame engine rebuild. i have some evidence of blowby with smoke coming out of the blowby tube, but nothing excessive. I do not have any history on the machine except for a few records in the owners manual about oil and fuel filter changes at particular hour intervals. I will probably have someone perform a compression test on the pistons, but until then, I am very satisfied with my purchase.

·
Administrator
20,364 Posts
All engines have blowby. Completely normal on a healthy engine to have some smoke come out of the tube. Does it use excessive amounts of oil? Does it smoke out of the exhaust? Is it low on power? If no to all of those, no worries, tractor on sir. :good2:

·
Registered
714 Posts
My 72 820 had blow by also and it only had 1400 hours. I had it rebuilt because it sat for 10 years with the original antifreeze. They are nice little mules, but time out hurts them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
All engines have blowby. Completely normal on a healthy engine to have some smoke come out of the tube. Does it use excessive amounts of oil? Does it smoke out of the exhaust? Is it low on power? If no to all of those, no worries, tractor on sir. :good2:
Thanks shadow. It uses ZERO oil and it does not "increase" oil either...stays right in the sweetspot on the dipstick. No antifreeze leaks or coolant issues. This is my first diesel tractor, so I'm still getting used to what is "acceptable". It is very easy to start....when I first start it, she'll smoke some, but once the temps are up, zero smoke. The blowby tube has a steady output, but no drips or oil condensation at all. Its noticeable, but I may just be reading too much into it. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts