Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try to start a 1025R when the temp is zero Fahrenheit? I'm talking no block heater, no heated shed, no nothing. Just sitting outside maybe covered with a tarp. What you think? Would/will/did it start?

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Never tried it but if I had to I think it would start. I started my 1020 a couple of years back when we got a dumping and I was running out of room for plowing and needed the FEL to get rid some of the piles. it spends winter under my rear deck, its a 1967 but it still cranked over slowly them popped off.

·
Registered
764 Posts
R

My 3025 starts sub zero. My neighbor has a 3032 and his does too.

I'd cycle the glow plugs twice by turning the ingition until ready to start twice, not once. Probably not needed, but I think this will help. Thinks get iffy around -10 F with modern diesels in my experience. Back in the early 1980s when I owned not one, but two Oldsmobile diesels (both 1980 models), they needed to be plugged in when the temps dropped to 0 or colder, which in Northern Minnesota could be November to May. My dad had a slightly newer Olds diesel (1984) and it would start at -10 F reliably. These are parked outside temps, not in a garage.

·
Premium Member
12,756 Posts
Anyone try to start a 1025R when the temp is zero Fahrenheit? I'm talking no block heater, no heated shed, no nothing. Just sitting outside maybe covered with a tarp. What you think? Would/will/did it start?
Sure it will start. There are YouTube videos out there with very cold starts. It might stumble and smoke for a few seconds but it will start.

My 2720 is in an unheated garage. The coldest I started it was 5 degrees and it fired right up.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Hi CaseIH574, what year machine? Newest 17s and 18s have a completely different, but totally invisible starting sequence for glows than older model years. The light on the dash stays on for the same 6 seconds, but the glows get power for 2 minutes. If it is a new one, will start no problem, may give some stumble or a few misses. Older ones will start, but belch black smoke and miss and shake for all they are worth. Block heater is one way of helping the situation. Plug in an hour or so before you want to start and should be no problem. Hope you have a brand new one!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Mine wouldn't start at 0F, and I was upset at first, until I realized that I had forgotten to treat the diesel. Got some Howe's and now it starts at any temp. I too cycle the glow plugs a few times if it's very cold. Starts and runs like a champ.

·
Premium Member
14,907 Posts
Started mine the other morning, it had been sitting for the past 3-5 weeks in unheated building and temps near 0° for the past week. I've learned with the 1025 or 1023 (up till this years model) turn the key on for apx 10 secs turn the key off turn the key on again for 10 secs. do this 3-5 times and tractor will start and run about the same as the 1026 or 2305 would start with just turning the key on leaving it go thru one cycle of preheat.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi CaseIH574, what year machine? Newest 17s and 18s have a completely different, but totally invisible starting sequence for glows than older model years. The light on the dash stays on for the same 6 seconds, but the glows get power for 2 minutes. If it is a new one, will start no problem, may give some stumble or a few misses. Older ones will start, but belch black smoke and miss and shake for all they are worth. Block heater is one way of helping the situation. Plug in an hour or so before you want to start and should be no problem. Hope you have a brand new one!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just as everyone has said - YES it will start. Mine stay in a heated barn all winter long, but its cramped for space storing everything. So in the event I have a car repair or something crazy like a buddies car repair the tractors get moved outside. Last year we ran into a situation that forced them outside at sub zero temps. I did cycle the key 3-5 times and it fired right up with smoke and rattling took a bit to warm up but it started. My 3039 fired up much easier but still hated the cold. I have found that anything below freezing needs glow plug cycling.

Just to help this along I did add block heater this past summer so in the same scenario I will plug it in for 1/2 hour to hour and hope to make this start a bit easier, haven't tried it yet but pretty sure the 60 bucks will be money well spent.

Be sure to treat the fuel - any good anti-gel will be the key.

Mike

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I can’t speak for the 1025, but I can’t tell you my 1026 has started @ -10 with no issues.
1026, like my New Holland, are different animals than the 1025R. Gov't and EPA, screwed them all up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My 2017 1025R sat outside last winter and started at -20F with no problems, I just cycled the glow plugs twice.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
968 Posts
1026, like my New Holland, are different animals than the 1025R. Gov't and EPA, screwed them all up.

Just out of interest what is screwed up on the 1025R?

IMHO the spec’s sound like different engine from 1026R. Or just rated less HP?

I have an older 1023E @23.6 HP (no pulling yellow knob to back up, no trigger switch for PTO drive shaft) and I know it is a different engine VS 1026R.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got to cold start my 2017 1025 r up today. -3 degrees Fahrenheit. Was totally impressed with how easy it started and how well it ran right off. Let it warm for about 15 minutes and it was ready to move some snow. I wasn't going to use it but my snow thrower puked and the parts are on order. I'm telling you straight up my 4230 Case IH will not start when its that cold.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Our MY2013 1025r has started at -10F temps no issue. I just cycle the glow plugs 3 times and she fires right up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Bottom line.... if the glow plugs work, it gets fuel, and the battery has enough charge to turn in over, it will start.

Glow plugs are amazing!!!!!!:good2:

·
Registered
71 Posts

I was happy to read this as I've been cycling the glow plugs on my 2018. I was curious and checked the owners manual, it still states that the glow plugs will only be activated for 5 seconds...just curious where you were able to confirm this, some tech literature maybe?

I also found it interesting that the manual states to start the engine 1/2 - 3/4 throttle, I would have thought to start it at a much lower RPM.
Thanks

2018 - 1025R
120R, 60D, 54SB, iMatch, Ballast Box

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
This has been discussed before and our members fall in different camps. The manual does say this, some follow its advice with no problems. Some, like myself, don’t like to hear a cold engine taking off like that before the oil has had time to circulate. I start mine from idle. I have had no problems at all. If it’s really cold, I bump it up just a hair of low throttle.

Reactions: PJR832 and Brianjc
1 - 20 of 26 Posts