Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked up my snowblower a few weeks back, and it went well....

Missed the first big 10" snow to test it on, but we had about a 5" snow a few days after..... so I got to test it out. Worked like a dream. Can't wait for a major storm to really have some fun.

Watch the video of my Maiden Voyage here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9HsDdIGtvw&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
139 Posts
great video, looks like it is working well for you. I would try to turn all of those perpendicular passes into longitudinal (aligned to driveway) just to cut down on all of the back and forth/wear and tear. It looks like three long passes instead of all of those short passes. The top of my driveway is a pain because it is pear shaped, so no matter which way I go its got curves making it hard to be efficient but the main drive is on long S curve so I can take three passes and clear the entire length which is much faster per sq/ft of area than all of the weird passes I am forced to do next to the garage.

I find a scarf is a good mask for the grin. You just have to put on your 'mad eyes' so the wife doesn't think you are having to much fun :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great video, looks like it is working well for you. I would try to turn all of those perpendicular passes into longitudinal (aligned to driveway) just to cut down on all of the back and forth/wear and tear. It looks like three long passes instead of all of those short passes. The top of my driveway is a pain because it is pear shaped, so no matter which way I go its got curves making it hard to be efficient but the main drive is on long S curve so I can take three passes and clear the entire length which is much faster per sq/ft of area than all of the weird passes I am forced to do next to the garage.

I find a scarf is a good mask for the grin. You just have to put on your 'mad eyes' so the wife doesn't think you are having to much fun :)
I think I will give that a try! I could do maybe 3 passes in the turn-around, parallel with the driveway...and then maybe a perpendicular shot on each outbound edge to get a good 90 degree cleanup in the corners.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Great video, thanks for posting. I would say that I have got to get me one of those but I don't think it would see much action down here. It has been close to 80 down here for the last several days.

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great video, thanks for posting. I would say that I have got to get me one of those but I don't think it would see much action down here. It has been close to 80 down here for the last several days.
Thanks... yeah, you probably wouldn't be using one of those much...haha.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Now for that hard side cab and heater! They make quick work of snow don't they! Have fun but not to much as you have been coached. :hi:

Reactions: JoeFriday1979

·
Registered
170 Posts
Great video. It looks like you are a seasoned pro at blowing snow. At this point in my life (2 new snowmobiles) I wish we had that snow here in MN.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I have a blade so the thrower looks like fun. If we got more snow here i would have one. Have Fun and keep blowing...:good2:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a blade so the thrower looks like fun. If we got more snow here i would have one. Have Fun and keep blowing...:good2:

I really struggled with 'snow blower' vs 'blade.' We don't get too many big blasts of snow either... and the blade looks like it works like a charm, and might arguably be quicker than the snowblower....

In the end I needed something to make some 'trails' from my house to my pole barns behind my house... and a snow trail to the bird feeders..... lol....

Could have saved some $$$ going the blade route.... might be something to add to the collection at some point. haha

Thanks for the reply and have a great one! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
342 Posts
... the blade looks like it works like a charm, and might arguably be quicker than the snowblower....
I have both, and in my situation the blade takes longer.

With the blower I make two trips out and back, four passes, and cleaning up the parking area is quick. The blade takes five passes on the driveway, so 3 trips out and back. Cleaning up the parking and town snowbank takes more passes due to spillage off the side of the blade. The largest advantage of the blade over the blower, in my opinion, is the use of less fuel.

I had a manual diverter valve installed last year. This set up works great! The diverter is mounted to the side of the quick-hitch handle and is always attached to the lift and angle cylinders on the hitch. There is one set of hoses running back to the floor board from the diverter, and a set of quick-release couplers after the diverter for the blower to use. Switching between the blower and the blade is now a lot quicker and easier!
:greentractorride:

Mr. Moose

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice job

You did a nice job on the video! I have the 47" snow blower and love it. This is my third winter with it and I wouldn't change. I have a longish driveway ~225' which is 16' wide and we get enough snow that with a blade some winters I'd run out of places to put the snow without tearing things up. It is more costly than a blade but I hope over the years it is worth it. What takes the longest for me is the driveway apron in front of the garage, it is 30'wide and about 30' deep and getting in there is more time consuming than the relatively straight passes up and down the driveway and part of our road for cleanup

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have both, and in my situation the blade takes longer.

With the blower I make two trips out and back, four passes, and cleaning up the parking area is quick. The blade takes five passes on the driveway, so 3 trips out and back. Cleaning up the parking and town snowbank takes more passes due to spillage off the side of the blade. The largest advantage of the blade over the blower, in my opinion, is the use of less fuel.

I had a manual diverter valve installed last year. This set up works great! The diverter is mounted to the side of the quick-hitch handle and is always attached to the lift and angle cylinders on the hitch. There is one set of hoses running back to the floor board from the diverter, and a set of quick-release couplers after the diverter for the blower to use. Switching between the blower and the blade is now a lot quicker and easier!
:greentractorride:

Mr. Moose
Do you have a picture of the diverter valve you could post... or possibly even a quick camera phone video of it in action? That would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You did a nice job on the video! I have the 47" snow blower and love it. This is my third winter with it and I wouldn't change. I have a longish driveway ~225' which is 16' wide and we get enough snow that with a blade some winters I'd run out of places to put the snow without tearing things up. It is more costly than a blade but I hope over the years it is worth it. What takes the longest for me is the driveway apron in front of the garage, it is 30'wide and about 30' deep and getting in there is more time consuming than the relatively straight passes up and down the driveway and part of our road for cleanup
Thank you.

Do you ever approach your garage doors straight on..... and then tip the snowblower as you would a front loader bucket and 'drag' the snow backwards away from the garage doors? My neighbor does this with his... and I have done it with his as well before I bought my own. I just haven't had a chance to try it with mine yet. I also wonder about the 'wear' on the front blade of the blower.... probably doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Great video....same blower as mine, had it for 8 years, still going strong, one question, are you dropping the rpm of the tractor before you pull the PTO on?, better for the whole system if you do....enjoy your :greentractorride:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great video....same blower as mine, had it for 8 years, still going strong, one question, are you dropping the rpm of the tractor before you pull the PTO on?, better for the whole system if you do....enjoy your :greentractorride:
Thank you. Yes I do drop the rpm's.... you should be able to hear that just before I start blowing. I drop it down all the way to idle and once I engage the PTO, I then bring it right up to operating speed. Thanks! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
perfect, that what I get for watching a video at work w/ no sound....:hide:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
perfect, that what I get for watching a video at work w/ no sound....:hide:
LOL.... I know what you mean! Thanks for double-checking though - that is what I love about this thread; everyone is so good about making sure us newbies don't make mistakes the hard/and costly way. I appreciate it VERY much! :good2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts