Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a John Deere 110 SF with an 8 HP Kohler. When I first got it, it ran fine and I mowed quite a bit with it. However, I've been having issues with it lately. I can start it up when it's cold and it will run and mow for a few minutes. Then, when it gets under a pretty decent load, it starts to sputter and gradually gets worse to the point where it nearly dies. Then, I can turn the deck off and run it just fine for a couple more minutes until it gradually gets worse and eventually dies. I can then start it back up and it will run for just a few seconds before it dies again. I think it's either starving for fuel (carb issues) or the coil is getting hot and breaking down and needs a new coil. I'm going to try to spray ether in it when it starts to sputter to see if it speeds up when I do that. I may just take the carb off anyway to see what it looks like, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues so that I could possibly get a better idea of what the issue is. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,810 Posts
It could be starving for fuel. Have you tired to remove the gas cap when it starts to act up? I have a tractor that did that and the gas cap was clogged. Also check your fuel filter. And, we can assume it has fuel? BTDT:flag_of_truce: After all of the fuel checks then it's time to get serious and do the real troubleshooting. It does sound like you are thinking of the things I would check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the fuel tank completely off, took the sediment bowl off, and took each fuel line off to make sure fuel was flowing properly. Everything was fine. I've also removed the gas cap to see if that was the issue and it still acted the same, so I've eliminated those. And yes, it does have gas. haha

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I know little about these carb, but did you remove the jets and see how they look? Many are brass and seem to have issues with ethanol in our fuel. The main jet might be plugged or partially plugged.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Considering you have already checked fuel flow, and it seems fine, then I would certainly take off the carburetor, and at least clean it thoroughly. Personally, unless I was 100% certain of the health of the carb, I would put a rebuild kit in it, and feed it some ethanol-free gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What size fuel line are on your 110s? Just realized mine has two different size lines (one is 3/8 between filter and carb, not sure what size other is between filter and sediment bowl).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello JW and welcome aboard !!

My first guess would be the condenser is breaking down when hot. Secondly the coil.

Did you try the ether trick you mentioned to see if it would fire after it quits, to rule out fuel if it doesn't start ??

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe my 110's have 1/4" fuel lines. Personally, I do not run filters on mine. The screen that is in the cutoff valve is good enough for Deere, so it is good enough for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.