Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled this thing with water, which is 42 gallons @ 8.34lbs/gallon = 350lbs. It was not very effective.
So now I'm considering filling it with dry play sand, which is approximately 13.37lbs/gallon. 42 gallons = 561lbs

I'm curious if anyone else has done this with these poly rollers, that can share their input, good .vs. bad

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My roller is 5/8" thick ductile iron,, no flex.

I pull it as fast as the tractor will go,, math says the roller has a better chance of winning,,,

how about adding some cement to that sand before putting it in the roller,,
then, add some water,,, the roller will then become,,, HARD!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how about adding some cement to that sand before putting it in the roller,,
then, add some water,,, the roller will then become,,, HARD!!:bigthumb:
That's easily said. :laugh:
My concerns are the attach points. The shafts do not have bearings, just plastic sleeves.
I can see that idea (and just the sand for that matter) back firing in short order.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
It was not very effective.
If the roller is not effective,, you have to upgrade, until it does what you want,,

When the plastic bearings fail,, upgrade,,

My roller uses 2 1/2" sched 40 pipe as the bearing,, sometimes, it "squeaks",,, :laugh:

If it squeaks too much, it gets some used motor oil,,, :flag_of_truce: :lolol:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I bought a poly roller cheap once, and gave it away not long after.
To flatten a lawn, especially if its rough, you need more weight than that roller can generate across its width.
Also, the poly flexes under the weight which doesnt allow as much pressure as it would if it didnt flex.
Those thin steel ones arent much better.

My roller is made from a 1/2" x 48" wide steel pipe.
It weighs 760# empty. 1250# full.
Once I remake the frame out of 3" channel, it will weigh more.
That thing flattens out the yard and anything else fairly easily.

In your case, Id just say make sure the sand is dry, and fill it up as much as you possibly can, even if it means standing it on one end.
I wouldnt worry too much about the bushings in the ends. Spray them once in a while with lithium grease or something similar and use it until it falls apart.
I have the best luck the day after a good rain.

Incidentally, Ive noticed too that quite a lot of people roll their lawns but never aerate.
Cant roll without aerating, or you end up compacting the soil too much and the grass wont grow as well as it would otherwise.
I do my best to aerate twice a year, in Spring and Fall, and roll when the moles get a bit too carried away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts