Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am am trying to find out what a couple of wires go to on this mower. They are purple and red. They extend out of the wire harness near the brake pedal. It is obvious that they have been cut off. The mower runs fine , with the exception of a constant battery light, another issue for another time. Anybody have a color wire diagram or know what these two wires are for? 1987 John Deere 180 Lawn Tractor.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Attached below is a manual that covers your 180 tractor. The wiring diagrams are simple black and white line drawings, but all wire colors are clearly marked. The only black and red wire pairs I see are the headlight wiring connections... I do not see any purple and red pairings. Perhaps it is the pair to the neutral start switch (which should be purple and purple/white in the diagrams I am reading...) Does your tractor still require the transmission in neutral to crank over, or has that interlock been hacked by a prior owner?

View attachment TM1351 (Apr-88).pdf

Chuck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John Deere 180 Lawn Tractor

Attached below is a manual that covers your 180 tractor. The wiring diagrams are simple black and white line drawings, but all wire colors are clearly marked. The only black and red wire pairs I see are the headlight wiring connections... I do not see any purple and red pairings. Perhaps it is the pair to the neutral start switch (which should be purple and purple/white in the diagrams I am reading...) Does your tractor still require the transmission in neutral to crank over, or has that interlock been hacked by a prior owner?

View attachment 661640

Chuck
Thanks for your help here. I have not tried to start it in anything but neutral. That will be one of my next things to do. There are several unconnected wires that I need to investigate before it will be yard ready. I know for sure the seat switch is not connected. It came with some sort of pan seat and no place to connect the disconnect wires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Safety Disconnects Bypassed/Removed

As you suspected the previous owner has bypassed the neutral safety. I have included a picture of the two wires I am trying to figure out. I too am puzzled as to their purpose, based on the wire diagram. 20181212_112725.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts