Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 345 18hp Kawasaki. It has run great until today. Would not start today with the throttle up and the choke on. It did start and run with the throttle at idle. Its dies when I try to advance the throttle.
I removed the air cleaner, removed the gas cap neither helped. I can see the choke and governor linkage are both free. I can accelerate the engine with the governor. Not sure what to check next.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have a 1997 345 18hp Kawasaki. It has run great until today. Would not start today with the throttle up and the choke on. It did start and run with the throttle at idle. Its dies when I try to advance the throttle.
I removed the air cleaner, removed the gas cap neither helped. I can see the choke and governor linkage are both free. I can accelerate the engine with the governor. Not sure what to check next.

Could you have flooded it? Normally a flooded engine won't start with the choke on. Because it already has more than enough fuel. Try pulling the spark plugs to see if they are wet. If so clean or replace them.

If the plugs are dry you might not be getting enough fuel. Spray a good shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid into the carb. Then they to start it. It should start immediately if lack of fuel is your problem.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Starvin' for fuel: Check filter, tank line to carb, carb float stuck in "full-up" position, dirt in float valve orifice, clogged main jet(s)... Keep tryin'!:laugh:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Pull the air filter and see if it runs on carb cleaner. If it does, then you have air and spark. Pull the carb, buy a gasket kit for it, disassemble, soak in laquer thinner 24-48 hours, blow out all ports, reassemble, motor on...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts