Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, thanks for all the info I’ve already gotten off the forum. I’m pretty new to tractors and have just bought a 1967 2020 with the gas engine.
Had a bad hydraulic shudder when I bought it, changed the fluid and filter cleaned out the screens. Ran much better, then after a few days of moving dirt, the hydraulics slowed way down, then stopped all together. I did have fluid moving around inside my filler cap area, so I took apart my rockshaft and replaced the cylinder seal. Fired it back up tonight and now I have 3 point hydraulics, but no front end loader. I still can see fluid moving around when I look into my filler cap....
Steering and brakes seem fine. Any thoughts or suggestions on where to go next would greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
9,208 Posts
Rockshaft valve seals leaking

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help, would I be able to see that looking through the filler cap?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One guy told me there should be some fluid moving around inside there normally, is that true? Or should you see nothing when I look in there?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I agree trans pump lubricates trans gears but I think if one detects moving/misting oil through hyd filler hole behind seat this will "adversely affect" hyd operation due to internal high pressure leak.

What type valve controls loader? If independent how is it attached to tractor hyd system? Is it designed for closed center hyd system?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m not real sure, the loader is hooked up through two connections at the rear by the 3 point. I’m not sure if it closed center. It seem to work fine up until now.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
During your repairs, any chance you disconnected the couplers/fittings for your loader? If so, I'd disconnect & reconnect them, ESPECIALLY if they're quick disconnects! These are known to not always seat correctly. Bob

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I’m not real sure, the loader is hooked up through two connections at the rear by the 3 point. I’m not sure if it closed center. It seem to work fine up until now.
Simple test to determine if FEL control valve is designed to operate on CC hyd system is disconnect from tractor & aim open FEL valve return(out) hose into open hyd filler hole or 5 gal bucket. Then with "FEL control levers in neutral" pressurize FEL control valve in hose & no oil should exit open return hose. This same type test can be performed with air.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did have to disconnect the hard lines to remove the rockshaft cover, but it stopped working before that and they have been reconnected. How do I know which line is the return line, I’ll try that.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
FEL hyd performance should improve if you attach loader control valve directly to tractor hyd system similar to photo below. Relief valve on FEL isn't needed on closed center hyd's so I recommend completely closing relief valve or at the least be sure it remains seated to 2400 psi. I also suggest to remove male coupler tip on FEL control valve return(out) hose,aim open return hose into open tractor hyd filler hole then apply hyd pressure to "in hose" on FEL control valve with both control levers in neutral & no oil should exit open hose. If oil exits hose then a closed center conversion plug with internal seal is required to aid in correct hyd operation. Ported filter cover is part # L55982 if your tractor doesn't already have one. Hyd pressure connection for FEL valve is located on RH side of tractor behind the priority valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Tx Jim, I just ordered the Ported filter and I plan on re-plumbing it soon. What relief valve are you referring to?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Remove the cap by turning it CCW,loosen jam nut,turn screw CW until it's snug,tighten jam nut reinstall cap.
So weird question, it doesn’t appear to have a return line, one line come from the quick connect to the loader valve, the other line goes to the other valve for the rear quick connects, which raises the 3point currently, but I don’t see any lines that would return fluid back into the system.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts