Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my dilemma....I currently have a Gravely ZT HD 60 for mowing duties. I have 4.5 acres out in the country so I need something for loader work and snow removal. I have a 2014 Branson 4520C with a BL25R loader for snow removal and hauling trees and stuff like that around. I am looking to downsize to just one machine and cut my monthly payments down. I am looking very hard at a 2019 2038R with a 72" MMM and loader. The JD 0% or 1.9% interest is very enticing and is much better than my current interest rate on my tractor. I can save about $100-$125 a month just by downsizing to one machine. I have never mowed with anything other than lawn tractors which my last was the 738 with 54" HC deck. How do the 72" MMM mow? I can mow my 4ish acres in about 2.5 hrs on the Gravely and can't imagine the 2038R would take any more time as the deck is 12" wider. Any input would be appreciated on the 2038R.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
It depends on how wet/soft your land gets and how even it is. If it's flat and dry, a 2038 with a 72" deck will do a great job. If you get a lot a lot of rain and your property turns muddy or even soft from the moisture, this thing will destroy it. Turf tires will help but they will only mitigate the damage. If it's very uneven, the 72" may scalp.

As an example, we have a lot of rain at the start of mowing season, and things get soft. I can mow with my X758 just fine. It will tear up the very soft spots where the water pools but the ruts won't be deep and they recover when things dry up. But when it's wet like that, I can't even take the 2032 onto the grass or it will leave massive ruts in the wet spots and tear up everything else.

Right now, with things being normal (dry) I would be able to mow with the 2032 and it would do very well. But...another thing to consider is that the 2R tractors have very bad turning radius compared to garden tractors or SCUTs, and the steering effort is greater. So while it will do a great job on dry/normal land, it will be harder and more annoying than with a smaller machine.

TLDR: If you have a suburban type property with good drainage, or you land is mostly dry, it should be fine. A more rural/untamed property and you may want to consider the above.

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
I have the 72”. Wider is always going to be harder to keep level and deal with slopes than narrower but the I like how the 72” sticks out further to get closer to things. I find just the opposite on the soft spots but I have turfs. I can run mine across a soft spot and sure it sinks in but it doesn’t spin where my 400 will tear it up worse.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So here is my dilemma....I currently have a Gravely ZT HD 60 for mowing duties. I have 4.5 acres out in the country so I need something for loader work and snow removal. I have a 2014 Branson 4520C with a BL25R loader for snow removal and hauling trees and stuff like that around. I am looking to downsize to just one machine and cut my monthly payments down. I am looking very hard at a 2019 2038R with a 72" MMM and loader. The JD 0% or 1.9% interest is very enticing and is much better than my current interest rate on my tractor. I can save about $100-$125 a month just by downsizing to one machine. I have never mowed with anything other than lawn tractors which my last was the 738 with 54" HC deck. How do the 72" MMM mow? I can mow my 4ish acres in about 2.5 hrs on the Gravely and can't imagine the 2038R would take any more time as the deck is 12" wider. Any input would be appreciated on the 2038R.
I was of the same thought process as you; one piece of equipment that does everything I need so I bought a 2038 with 72" mower. The cut is fine, no issues there but here is why I would keep the zero turn if I were you. For starters, this setup is going to damage the wet areas of your yard because of the weight of the tractor. There are some areas I simply avoid until things dry up. Secondly, I rarely cut with the loader attached to the tractor. It's hard to see around (when mowing) and it makes getting up close to obstacles more difficult. Taking the loader off is about a two minute process and hooking it back up is 3-4 once you get the hang of it. Lastly, and this is the big one, I've had a lot of trouble attaching the mower and some trouble taking it off. Autoconnect isn't what Deere makes it out to be and after 239 hours of use and a few trips to the dealer for adjustments I am resigned to using a brick and occasionally a tree trunk to get the mower attached. I paid $5000 for the deck with autoconnect. Also the actuator that raises and lowers the deck is known to fail based on the posts I've read here and mine goes to whatever height it feels like rather than the height I've set.

If you have a lot of obstacles to mow around the extra width of the 72" deck won't make up for the time spend maneuvering around them. I mow about 5 acres of grass with a few trees and obstacles in my way and it takes me about 3.5-5 hours depending on how tall the grass is.

If I had a do over I would find a used 60" zero turn and then buy a 3 series for tractor duties.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
You are only looking at your monthly payment. How much is this change actually going to cost you?

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
I've had a lot of trouble attaching the mower and some trouble taking it off. Autoconnect isn't what Deere makes it out to be and after 239 hours of use and a few trips to the dealer for adjustments I am resigned to using a brick and occasionally a tree trunk to get the mower attached. .
This is frustrating to read. Something just is not right here in either the surface not being level or hard where your doing this or they don’t have it adjusted right. If it is not adjusted right it can be a pain but once set up properly it works great.

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
This is frustrating to read. Something just is not right here in either the surface not being level or hard where your doing this or they don’t have it adjusted right. If it is not adjusted right it can be a pain but once set up properly it works great.
It was hard for me to read as well. Especially when I can effortlessly drive over, connect, and start mowing without leaving my seat. The auto connect is truly amazing. He needs to go to another dealer or set it up himself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are only looking at your monthly payment. How much is this change actually going to cost you?
Not much really. I bought the Branson right and getting what I owe on trade. They are selling the 2038R to me at a very fair price I think. I will keep the Gravely until I sell it outright most likely. Not trading that one in. I need a tractor with loader for snow removal and tree work, I just hate paying on a machine just for that purpose and sits in the shed 80% of the time. I'd rather have one machine that I can use mowing and doing all the task.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My system works and once I started the brick to position the front arm it goes on fairly easy most of the time. I can't take it to the dealer repeatedly, don't have the time so I just came up with this work around.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I’m with the OP on having one machine to do it all. At that point it’s easier to justify spending $30k. I can’t see how a 2038 is going to cause ruts. I hear that a lot on here. At work I run a 5200 and 4520 wearing turf tires over golf course fairways cut at .425 so I’m sure your home lawn can handle the much lighter 2038. Where I work we got 70+ inches of rain last year so I know what wet is. I can’t comment on the 72d, but my 60d cuts like a champ and auto connect is flawless and effortless.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I went through the same process a little over three years ago. At that time I had a JD 4120 with a loader & backhoe & a JD1026r with loader & mower deck. After we got all of the dirt work done on our properties, I decided the 4120 was to large for our 2 1/2 acres of ground & the 1026R was to small for the only loader tractor that gets used mostly with forks. Many years ago I owned a JD 2320 with a loader & mower that worked great for over 5 years. When I downsized I decided to get a Gen 1 2025R with loader & mower. The 2025R is a twin of the 2320.

I downsized before I had all of the grass seeded on a property next door to us. After the grass was ready to mow, I discovered that the property next door stayed a lot wetter, a lot longer than our adjoining property did. The 2025R tore up the yard. I tried turf tires on the front, but it did not help. I decided to to get a 4x4 JD X739 to mow with. The X739 does a great job mowing the property.

This winter, because of health reasons, I found that the lift capacity & lift height of the JD2025R loader was not enough for my current needs. About 2 months ago I traded for a none JD tractor that is serving my current needs well.

The moral to the story is, just be sure you are making the right choice when you downsize.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I juggled the same dilemma myself except I considered selling the x758 to get a single machine likely the 38R as a compromise to size and capability. As others have said soft ground in the spring won't appreciate the additional weight of the machine. I opted away from selling the x758 and decided that down the road I would get a TLB setup and skip the mower, hell maybe get a more capable 33R.

Reactions: mike01

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you get the 38R, get it with the R3 Radials, this helps with not tearing the yard up. The other thing if your ground is soft, changing your patterns every so often gives you a better mow. Really it's a good idea to do in all cases.

The AutoConnect is with the money.. My old tractor just had the drive over, and then you had to hook the PTO up by hand.. No good.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the insight on this decision. Talked to my salesman yesterday and pretty much got the deal locked in. He has one at one of the other stores but has 5 hrs on it. He's gonna get that machine to his store so I can at least try it out for a week. I think I'm going to have him order me one with the R3 Radial turf tires. Also might have them put a 3rd function on for a future grapple purchase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too have been down this road. Bought a 2032R last fall with a deck. Used it once, tore up the lawn. I can not drive the tractor on the lawn without compacting the ground and leaving ruts. Bought a zero turn this spring. If I didn’t have a manicured lawn, if I was just cutting a rough lawn then I would have been fine. I’d suggest saving the cost of the deck and keeping the zero turn. If you’re not that into a great looking lawn then the deck works great, as long as you don’t try to take it on and off with the FEL attached.
A single machine is sure nice but these MCUTs aren’t really lawn machines.

Reactions: Milharri and mike01

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I too have been down this road. Bought a 2032R last fall with a deck. Used it once, tore up the lawn. I can not drive the tractor on the lawn without compacting the ground and leaving ruts. Bought a zero turn this spring. If I didn’t have a manicured lawn, if I was just cutting a rough lawn then I would have been fine. I’d suggest saving the cost of the deck and keeping the zero turn. If you’re not that into a great looking lawn then the deck works great, as long as you don’t try to take it on and off with the FEL attached.
A single machine is sure nice but these MCUTs aren’t really lawn machines.
Interesting. I actually was pleasantly surprised how well it cut. My one part of the lawn is kind of wavy, but it actually cut pretty good even in that. Just takes a bit more finesse cutting that part. Put 3.7hrs on it yesterday after they delivered it limbing some trees and then mowed. Definitely need to get a spinner for the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i have a 1025r with a 60D mower, and i have the same ZTR, a Gravely ZTHD 60 (great machine). i can tell you with almost 100% certainty the ZTHD will cut faster than the tractor with a 72" deck. I cut about 3 acres with a number of trees and obstacles, my cutting time went from 3 hours with the 1025 to 1.5 hours with the Gravely. So unless a 2038 with a 72" deck can cut twice as fast as a 1025 with a 60 deck, the Gravely will still be your best option for cutting grass. Not to mention, saving hours and wear and tear on your tractor.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have a 1025r with a 60D mower, and i have the same ZTR, a Gravely ZTHD 60 (great machine). i can tell you with almost 100% certainty the ZTHD will cut faster than the tractor with a 72" deck. I cut about 3 acres with a number of trees and obstacles, my cutting time went from 3 hours with the 1025 to 1.5 hours with the Gravely. So unless a 2038 with a 72" deck can cut twice as fast as a 1025 with a 60 deck, the Gravely will still be your best option for cutting grass. Not to mention, saving hours and wear and tear on your tractor.
Honestly....I was kind of surprised on this issue. I mowed yesterday and it took about the same time to mow with the 2038R as it did with the Gravely ZT HD 60. My yard is very rough....the tractor definitely handles the roughness better and also cuts another 12" every pass. I love the Gravely as it is a great mowing machine, but just from first impressions....I think the 2038R can handle mowing duties as well/same time than the Gravely.

Reactions: rjpoog1989

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Honestly....I was kind of surprised on this issue. I mowed yesterday and it took about the same time to mow with the 2038R as it did with the Gravely ZT HD 60. My yard is very rough....the tractor definitely handles the roughness better and also cuts another 12" every pass. I love the Gravely as it is a great mowing machine, but just from first impressions....I think the 2038R can handle mowing duties as well/same time than the Gravely.
I'm not surprised at all. People hype zero turns all the time, but unless you're navigating complex obstacles (where they shine), a higher ground speed and larger deck will win every time. The Gravely can only mow at 8 MPH. That's slow for a commercial zero turn. 10 MPH is average and 12 MPH is common among top models. Other than that, it's just a mower deck with wheels going 8 MPH in a straight line. The 2032R/38R have a top speed of about 15 MPH, it's a safe bet that they can beat 8 MPH on flat land with the deck on.

As for all the people who have a hard time understanding how a 2R can tear up the ground, consider yourselves fortunate. Ground/soil types vary wildly, as do rainfalls and the effect they have on your soil.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts