Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lift will not lower, it comes as soon as I crank tractor, won’t go down until I turn it off, I’ve changed hydraulic oil and both filters, I’ve also removed and checked the valve in front of the screen filter, also I adjusted the knob under the seat, that didn’t help, any ideas?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,716 Posts
When this occurs, what position is the rock shaft level in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lift will not lower, it comes as soon as I crank tractor, won’t go down until I turn it off, I’ve changed hydraulic oil and both filters, I’ve also removed and checked the valve in front of the screen filter, also I adjusted the knob under the seat, that didn’t help, any ideas?
It’s a a 1979 John Deere 2040

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,716 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
At the bottom of the lever near the pivot point, there should be a carriage bolt that can be loosened and allow adjustment of the lever. Is the bolt there and tight? What position is the load and depth lever? Try putting it in the "D" position to see if that makes any difference. Also you mentioned that it won't lower until engine is shut off. DOes it fall quickly? Does lever need to be in down position to get it to lower then?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Welcome to GTT
I'll add to what jd110 stated that my guess is spring(item 8) inside rockshaft housing is loose or broken. Another possibility is cam(dotted outline) has broken or is not in correct location in RS control linkage. Look inside hyd oil filler hole for clues.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the bottom of the lever near the pivot point, there should be a carriage bolt that can be loosened and allow adjustment of the lever. Is the bolt there and tight? What position is the load and depth lever? Try putting it in the "D" position to see if that makes any difference. Also you mentioned that it won't lower until engine is shut off. DOes it fall quickly? Does lever need to be in down position to get it to lower then?
Thanks, I’ll check this evening, to your question, it falls slowly no matter what position the lever is in, but this tractor has always had the lift drop when engine is cut off, but is dropping much slower now since I’ve changed oil and filters and cleaned flow valve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to GTT
I'll add to what jd110 stated that my guess is spring(item 8) inside rockshaft housing is loose or broken. Another possibility is cam(dotted outline) has broken or is not in correct location in RS control linkage. Look inside hyd oil filler hole for clues.
I’m beginning to believe that may be my problem, I will take top off rock shaft housing this this weekend, I’ll let you know

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll advise to look in hyd oil filler before R&R of rockshaft housing. Do you happen to have access to a "bore scope"?
I really couldn’t see much, I don’t have access to bore scope, it’s looking like I may have to take off rock shaft housing and look, I got an electric winch I can use to pick it up, anything I need to be aware of before doing this?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I'll add to what jd110 stated to be sure to replace quad ring(T17882) in RH frt side of trans case where hyd pressure transfers from trans case to RS housing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts