Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a problem i have a john deere 214 14 hp kohler with no spark i bought the tractor for 80$ and it has been sitting in a barn for a while so i clean the carb and put it all back together drained the gas added fresh gas to figure out im not getting spark. i changed the plug same thing no spark i took the spark wire plug out of the coil and the male connector looks brand new i dont know if its the coil or the condensor can anyone tell me what is wrong? :confused: heres some pics

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Considering the time this machine has been idle, I would start with a tune up kit (points, condenser, plug and plug wire). Set Spark plug gap to .035" and point gap at .020". Confirm battery voltage at "+" side of coil. Remove the cover from the points. Make sure the points plate has a good ground. Watch the points while someone cranks the engine. You should see a spark at the points gap. There should be an audible "snap" when the points break. If all of that checks out, then replace the coil.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Dodger,
If this is your first experience with points ignitions, you may want to consult an "old timer" or friend with experience. The points are located under the little rectangular cover, near the air filter. This might help. Sorry for the quality.

214points.JPG

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks very much yeahh this is my first time owning a john deere, a garden tractor and a horizontal engine so its pretty new to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts