Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing my seal #2 below when I removed it the sleeve #36 just slid right out. Is that supposed to happen? Should the sleeve just pull right off the shaft? It came off when I took the seal off so I'm not sure exactly how it goes back on. Any help would be appreciated. Does the sleeve #36 just rid freely on the shaft? Or will I have to take the shaft out and squeeze it on somewhere? What does it do? Just keep it centered in the case? Does anyone have a picture of the mid pto assembled? Thanks everyone.

Product Font Engineering Auto part Technology

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm going to say "No", it should not slide out. That's probably why the seal was leaking. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That sleeve is supposed to press on/off. If it just slides off, it's probably the source of your leak.

Motor vehicle Aircraft Font Parallel Aviation

·
Premium Member
12,957 Posts
What would wear the inside diameter of the wear sleeve so it doesn't fit tight on the shaft? Is it Perhaps a bad PTO shaft on the implement or excess vibration due to shaft U Joints on the implement?

When the wear sleeve is pressed onto the PTO shaft up to the retention clip is the wear sleeve running on the inside of the support bearing race? i guess I am somewhat at a loss as to what the wear sleeve does and how it would wear.............

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I can't quite figure how it don't leak through the splines.

But I'm always looking at stuff like this just to learn More.

I know they make seal sleaves for things like a Toyota 22R engine..I get the concept... If the parts were in front of me I could grasp it better.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
That's a seal wear sleeve. It seats on the ID of the seal.

As long as it's not worn which would be evident by a noticeable external circumferential depression you should be able to reuse it. These also usually seat onto an O-ring which could be # 31 in your exploded view. The O-ring provides an internal seal to the shaft splines.

Reactions: Myasis Dragon

·
Premium Member
12,957 Posts
That's a seal wear sleeve. It seats on the ID of the seal.

As long as it's not worn which would be evident by a noticeable external circumferential depression you should be able to reuse it. These also usually seat onto an O-ring which could be # 31 in your exploded view. The O-ring provides an internal seal to the shaft splines.
Is the whole point of the wear sleeve so the shaft splines don't wear on the seal directly and are contained within the wear sleeves I.D. where the wear sleeves O.D. rides on the inside lip of the seal?

Are you suggesting As long as the wear sleeves O.D. doesn't show wear, it can be reused and just slid onto the splined shaft and doesn't need to be pressed on as shown in the TSM?

Thanks, just trying to understand how this functions...........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts