Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got one of theses older balers for a little of nothing. What should i look for or beware of while going thru the baler from front to back?
Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
It has been many years since I worked on a baler, but this will be a good start:

1. Do you have an operator's manual? If not, you need to get one.
2. Lubricate in accordance with the manual.
3. Check driveline universal joints.
4. Check plunger knife clearance.
5. Make sure plunger knife and stationary knife are sharp.
6. Check for broken or stretched springs; replace as necessary.
7. Replace broken or missing pickup teeth.
8. Clean all hay from bale chamber.
9. Thread knotters and run baler through a couple tying cycles by hand. I wouldn't run it with a tractor at all without running it through by hand.
10. Lubricate all roller chains.
11. Insure that the plunger stop is free and working correctly.
12. Insure that all shear bolts and pins are correct.

I'm sure someone with more recent experience can add to my list.
The 24T was a good baler. If it has been maintained and not beat, you should get a lot of use out of it.

Don

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 24T Experience

I guess maybe i got junk. Know one has any thing to say about?
I have a 24T that was sold as scrap. It's working again. But not without a bit of pain and paint.

Replaced:
All the pick-up fingers
half the loops between the fingers
guides on both sides of the ram
Pins and springs where the PTO shaft meets the gear box enclosure (lets it spin down when PTO is shut off)
shear pin on the fly wheel
welded in new guides for the bail tensioner. (bale left in place for who knows how long)
Lots of scotch brite and sand paper
Lots of paint

I love the thing. Probably because I spent so much time working on it with my sons.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
It has been many years since I worked on a baler, but this will be a good start:

1. Do you have an operator's manual? If not, you need to get one.
2. Lubricate in accordance with the manual.
3. Check driveline universal joints.
4. Check plunger knife clearance.
5. Make sure plunger knife and stationary knife are sharp.
6. Check for broken or stretched springs; replace as necessary.
7. Replace broken or missing pickup teeth.
8. Clean all hay from bale chamber.
9. Thread knotters and run baler through a couple tying cycles by hand. I wouldn't run it with a tractor at all without running it through by hand.
10. Lubricate all roller chains.
11. Insure that the plunger stop is free and working correctly.
12. Insure that all shear bolts and pins are correct.

I'm sure someone with more recent experience can add to my list.
The 24T was a good baler. If it has been maintained and not beat, you should get a lot of use out of it.

Don
+1:munch:

·
Registered
359 Posts
DRobison and Jleg covered everything pretty well. 'Bout the only thing I'd add is to check over your chains really well and the sprockets for excessive wear.

The chains can stretch and will slip or jump a tooth (especially if sprockets are worn). Can be maddening if things get a "tooth or two" outta time.

If they're already adjusted to the max and still lookin' pretty saggy... Take some links out or best case try to replace.

Best of luck. Hope to see some hay pics this coming summer! :thumbup1gif:

AKfish

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
I grew up using a 14T, predecessor to the 24T, but that was a lot of years ago!

·
Registered
217 Posts
They are great old balers. JD Parts still carries parts for them too plus a lot of used parts can be found. There's a bunch of vids on youtube about inspections, knotters and I even think how to correctly set the timing on the baler.

Like others have said grease up all the points. If you haven't seen it run on a PTO yet I would spin the drive shaft a few times to ensure the baler is timed correctly. If the chain stretched or is off by more than a tooth real problems can occur from the feeders smashing into the plunger in the bale chamber.

Also inspect the bale chamber to make sure its square, no cracks and that the plunger isn't creating excessive drag. I believe there's a guy on ebay thats even selling a service DVD for the 14/24T.

·
Registered
11,644 Posts
hay baler

I grew up using a 14T, predecessor to the 24T, but that was a lot of years ago!
grnspot110; I pulled hay bales out of a 14t for my grandpap from 65-67 till he sold his farm, 248 acres for $19,000.00. wouldn't that be something in todays world to be able to own that!! big jim oh, when wagon got full, he had to come stack them for me,wasn't tall enough than. also go to u-tube I think dvd reefs something like that he rebuilt and painted I think a 24t I think ok

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I think this has been stated to check plunger head for looseness in bale chamber BUT 24T's have a history of the PH adjusting bridge that has a wear pad on each end of breaking the single attaching bolt and getting lost in the hay field. The bridge & pads are high $$$$$ in today's parts prices. Back when I worked for a dealer I remember one farmer who tied a wire to bridge to keep it from getting lost if bolt happen to break.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I wish the OP would come back on and let us know how he made out with the baler. There is a lot of good advice offered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts