Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2640 that we opened up the steering box to replace a seal, and the fluid had lots of metal in it. Tractor has been making a lot of noise, and I’m wondering if this is a sign of main hydraulic pump failure? We have repaired a bunch of bearings, seals and gaskets, but are wondering where else that metal could have come from? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thank you. So far the brakes are working fine. There are way more metal filings in the steering box/reservoir than anywhere else. I am trying to figure out where they coming from to make it into that steering box/reservoir. I’ve been going through the tractor, but so far haven’t found the problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for helping me, but the filings are more like a dust and the screen won’t catch it, but yes I did check the screen.
Long story short, I bought the tractor used, it was making lots of noise, I sent oil sample off and it came back there was iron in it. We split in half and found bearing on countershaft had gone bad. Bearing went through one gear and we replaced that. Rockshaft had a seal leaking and we replaced those. One injector was bad and we are waiting for it so we can check for more problems. When it was running before we fixed the rockshaft there was micro bubbles (aeration) in the oil. Front pump made quite a bit of noise but not sure if it is from the aeration or if the pump is going bad. We opened the steering to replace a seal and that’s where we found so much of the dust like filings. Wondering if it could be coming from the main pump.
Thanks again!

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,810 Posts
Shavings in the oil usually means it comes from something made of Steel.
Very small Metallic particles in the oil usually means something made of Cast Iron.
If the Hydraulic Pump has failed, it's usually caused by a failure of other components.
JD hydraulic pumps are very tough and very forgiving. Chances are fragments from the transmission failure worked it's way into the Hyd. pump and damaged it. If this is the case, the entire system will need to be cleaned and flushed prior to operating with a new(or rebuilt) pump.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,810 Posts
This is what we used to do. It's not a small job, but if done correctly will prevent future damage.

Remove Rockshaft housing.
Remove Transmission shifter cover.
With filter, sump screen, rear PTO housing(with bearings & shaft) and all case drain plug(s) removed, flush with diesel or cleaning solution(non-caustic)(mineral spirits will work).
Flush transmission lube Cup and Pipes.
Catch flushing fluid in a clean tub/pan.
Flush until clean of metallic particles.
In addition, removed both Final Drives to flush any contaminates. At this time, brake linings were inspected and parts replaced as needed.
If the tractor is equipped with a Reverser or Hi-Low, it will need to be disassembled, cleaned and inspected. Replace any damaged parts within.

Remove and disassemble all hydraulic components(hyd. pump, power steering, SCVs, PCS(Pressure Control Valve), hydraulic reservoir tank).
Metallic contaminates surely have damaged the Transmission Pump. It will need to be removed and replaced.

While all components are removed, disconnect all hydraulic lines(at both ends) and flush with diesel or cleaning solution.
Using a garden sprayer, adapt a rubber tip similar to the air nozzle below.

Flush all lines until clean.

Once you feel all is thoroughly flushed and cleaned. Reassemble with fresh Hydraulic Fluid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.