Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have a 2008 JD 2720. Over the course of 2 months I have noticed that every time I check the engine oil there is less and less on the dipstick. Now it’s not a lot but still noticeable. I looked hard at the engine and can’t see it leaking anywhere and there is no oil on the ground. Anybody have any ideas on why I’m losing oil? Also back in March I had an accident with my tractor that I rolled it on it’s side. I got it set back on it’s tired and then let it sit for 3 hours before starting it again. Would that have anything to do with it?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,132 Posts
How many hours on the tractor?

·
Administrator
20,983 Posts
I can’t remember how the breather is setup. Perhaps if it’s routed through to the intake manifold, it could be burning it that way.

Any unusual smoke?

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
It might just be time for an oil change. :hi:

When was the last service? How's the oil feel on the dipstick? Is it noticeably slippery or is it just wet and gritty? Is there any diesel fuel odor to it? Is the air filter plugged solid? If the engine can't breath well it will pull oil out of the crankcase.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
It might just be time for an oil change. :hi:

When was the last service? How's the oil feel on the dipstick? Is it noticeably slippery or is it just wet and gritty? Is there any diesel fuel odor to it? Is the air filter plugged solid? If the engine can't breath well it will pull oil out of the crankcase.
I agree with this. After rolling it over all this stuff should be checked along with changing the oil. Oil could have very well found itself into the air intake thus saturating the air filter.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
you don't show a Location?

make sure the mice haven't moved into the air cleaner area..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts