Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see some delco numbers for points for the 3020 listed on Ebay. With that I should be able to go to Napa or other Auto Parts and pick up some points. But i was wondering if there is an upgraded set of points that has the adjustment with an allen wrench as opposed to setting with a feeler gauge and screwdriver way, which i am familiar with?
The tractor has not run for several years. It turns over good, and does have spark at the points but they look worn out and should be replaced. cap and rotor actually look good.

the spark at the plug looks faint and is intermittant. as a result the tractor wont fire even with a shot of ether.
I am wondering if that is also resultant of a weak coil.
what do you think ?
Thank You.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I gotta ask because an other member is dealing with issues on His.

What year is your tractor if you may know..?

Is yours Positive Ground...?

12 v...?

Generator or alternator..?

Soo you have weak spark to plugs ..correct?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I see some delco numbers for points for the 3020 listed on Ebay. With that I should be able to go to Napa or other Auto Parts and pick up some points. But i was wondering if there is an upgraded set of points that has the adjustment with an allen wrench as opposed to setting with a feeler gauge and screwdriver way, which i am familiar with?
The tractor has not run for several years. It turns over good, and does have spark at the points but they look worn out and should be replaced. cap and rotor actually look good.

the spark at the plug looks faint and is intermittent. as a result the tractor wont fire even with a shot of ether.
I am wondering if that is also resultant of a weak coil.
what do you think ?
Thank You.
The 3020 could have had a couple of different distributors. There should be a metal tag on the distributor with numbers on it. I do recommend the NAPA ignition points and condensers. I have never seen any points for these distributors with allen wrench adjustment. There are some companies that offer breakerless ignition conversion kits. I don't have any personal experience with these, but I know Yesterday's Tractor sells some. I think they also want you to switch to their coil at the same time. https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/John-Deere-3020_Electronic-Ignition-Conversion-Kit-12-volt-positive-ground_1145AP12.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pos Ground 12 volt, not sure of the year but i would guess generator. new points and plugs it fired right up.. but the fuel system is clogged.
trying to get the fuel pump off to inspect. took off two lines and two nuts but it wouldnt come off. didnt want to force it off yet.
should have just dropped off i would think.
I got the delco number for the points and got a set at the local autoparts. i found the delco number by looking at points for jd 3020 on ebay. some of the ads had the delco number listed.

I gotta ask because an other member is dealing with issues on His.

What year is your tractor if you may know..?

Is yours Positive Ground...?

12 v...?

Generator or alternator..?

Soo you have weak spark to plugs ..correct?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After putting on points and plugs it fired right up but wont run long. took off the two lines and two nuts on the fuel pump but it would come off, seemed stuck, according to the book it should come right off. I expect there is a clog back in the fuel tank to start with and i will see if it will run off a gas can and hose first. I need to move it which is how this project got started. the fuel pump would wiggle a small amount when i had the nuts off, but seemed like something was holding it. didnt seem like it had glued itself on but i could be wrong. there was alot of rust sediment in the bottome of the pump where the glass bowel sits. should i just try to muscle the pump off ?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But why wont the fuel pump come off ? unbolted it still stays in place. do i need to roll the engine? i have never had to on any other engine.

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
But why wont the fuel pump come off ? unbolted it still stays in place. do i need to roll the engine? i have never had to on any other engine.
Are you sure the gasket isn't holding it? I would probably try lightly tapping a putty knife in between the pump and the block to loosen it. There really isn't anything else to hold it as long as the two nuts are removed.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

It appears from the diagram...The fuel pump resides on Studs?...You removed the Nuts?

These are always a bit trickyer in my experiance as the wiggle is limited.

Suggestion above from the "DR"would be my go to.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Might be a little rusty on the studs too. You might need to talk to it a bit with the rubber mallet. It can't move much, it's on studs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, had the nuts off and both fuel lines. it would move a little bit. but i will work at it some more today.
It turns out it was stuck on the bolts. had not been off in so many years. crud had built up and made it a little tough to get off.
the pump had rusty sediment settled in the bottom of the pump in the "wells" that are at the bottom of the pump. cleaned that out and going to hook to a gas can and fuel hose and see if it'll go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Backfire

Well, got it running using an external gas tank. the bowel on the fuel pump filled up immediatly so that seems good.
but i am getting alot of backfiring and the engine doesnt advance with the throttle as it should.
I am thinking sticking valves, or perhaps arching in the distributor cap? i set the points with a feeler gauge but do not have a dwell meter. hope it is something simple.
i looked at the cap during points installation and it looked to be in good condition.
any thoughts on what it is?

·
Registered
896 Posts
You mentioned installing new points and plugs. You didn't mention the condenser. Backfiring can be caused by a bad condenser, lean mixture, incorrect timing, Bad distributor cap, etc. I would try a new condenser first if you haven't already replaced it. Actually wouldn't be a bad idea even if you have changed it. I had a bad new one a time or two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts