Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks, I have a JD 3020. About 2 years ago i put electronic points in it. The tractor has ran great since. About 6 months ago it started running rough and losing power until it wouldn't run at all. Someone told me to replace the coil. That fixed the issue. But only for a short time. Then it started acting up again so we replaced the coil again. This coil even lasted less time. My question is. Is there a specific coil I should be using? Or is there something else wrong? Is it possible the replacement points went bad?
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
What do you mean by electronic points? Did you just replace them or did you add an aftermarket points device?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Some aftermarket coils are REALLY bad,,, :dunno:

I would try a Bosch coil, and make sure you have the correct voltage coil, not some generic 6 volt coil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know they recomend a flame thrower 40,000 volt coil. I have not tried that yet. I just put one on that is recommended for that tractor. It has a year warranty. If that one doesn't work I'm switching to the flame thrower. Or going back to points. Thanks for the response. Now if I could figure out how to keep that tractor from burning 5 gallons of gas an hour. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
I know they recomend a flame thrower 40,000 volt coil. I have not tried that yet. I just put one on that is recommended for that tractor. It has a year warranty. If that one doesn't work I'm switching to the flame thrower. Or going back to points. Thanks for the response. Now if I could figure out how to keep that tractor from burning 5 gallons of gas an hour. Lol
I use the flamethrower. Most of the issues with these are carb related which foul the plugs. I have debated putting a MSD on it just for the plug issue. The only way to stop the 5gph is shutting it off.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wondering if putting a new carb on it would help the fuel issue? I occasionally foul a plug as well. I've heard the carb becomes pitted causing issues. I like the idea to put a diesel in it. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I had a 2030 gas and it used 3gph, so I was thinking 5gph for 3020 was about right :dunno:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wondering if putting a new carb on it would help the fuel issue? I occasionally foul a plug as well. I've heard the carb becomes pitted causing issues. I like the idea to put a diesel in it. Lol
3010-3020 Zenith Carburetor by Robert's Carburetor[/url

Everything I have read says this will fix it. It’s just a bit pricy.

That's interesting. If it does what it says it's probably worth it. However $1000 can buy a lot of fuel

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
That's interesting. If it does what it says it's probably worth it. However $1000 can buy a lot of fuel
If you can buy fuel for $2/gal and use 5gph that's 100 hours of use. How many hours do you put on in year?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you can buy fuel for $2/gal and use 5gph that's 100 hours of use. How many hours do you put on in year?
Probably 10 - 15 hours a year. It's my loader tractor. Mainly used for moving firewood and hay bails.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Probably 10 - 15 hours a year. It's my loader tractor. Mainly used for moving firewood and hay bails.
I'd pass on a new carb too, and not care how many gph it burned, if that were my yearly hours.
My first tractor was a 2030 gas. I sold it as soon as I found a diesel. Some weekends I put that many hours with it.

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
That’s me too. 10-15 a year. I have been doing more and more with the 2038r. I just always keep a spare set of plugs in the tool box of the 3020. What’s funny is that upgrade used to be 600-800. Last year I think it was a hundred cheaper than this. I know a few guys with gas 3020s but none with the carb. All with extra plugs though. :laugh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s me too. 10-15 a year. I have been doing more and more with the 2038r. I just always keep a spare set of plugs in the tool box of the 3020. What’s funny is that upgrade used to be 600-800. Last year I think it was a hundred cheaper than this. I know a few guys with gas 3020s but none with the carb. All with extra plugs though.

Wonder if they make an equivalent marine plug that would work? I bet they would foul less

1 - 16 of 16 Posts