Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning, so my JD 3030 arrived last week. I bought it cheap with hydraulic problems. The previous owner fitted a new front hydraulic pump, reconditioned Hi-Lo and a reconditioned transmission pump. Turns out he'd forgotten to put the wood ruff key on the front crankshaft coupling, along with reversing the rear arm with the load selector linkage so the calibration was completely off. I feel sorry because he'd put allot of money into fixing it.

The only problem im struggling with is though the PTO seems to work fine I have to hold the lever on the steering column in place - otherwise it springs back and disengages. I've gone through the technical manual and it actually seems very sparse on the PTO linkage information. Is there suppose to be an external spring or something internal which keeps it engaged?

Second problem, connected her up to some machinery today. The tractor has two double acting spool's, can I return the flow back through the gearbox return coupling? or does it need to run back via the spool valve? The reason I ask is when I'm using the external hydraulics the rear arms slowly drop.

Best regards, James

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
Do you have cab or open station? Parts show different PTO linkages for each.
By gear box return, do you mean to the transmission filter cover?

Reactions: PuG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cabbed, PTO lever is on the right hand side of the steering column next to the throttle. I've followed it down and nothing appears to be missing?

On the back left rear of the gearbox, below the rocker arms there's a hydraulic return. So I've tried using that, then thinking about it, obviously its closed hydraulics, so if its just returns the oil in the top then there would be a pressure drop if its just putting it into the main reservoir? So this evening I've manage to find an adapter and plugged the pipe into the second spool valve so it would be in a loop. No improvement.

Its a bale machine I'm trying to run so the oil is always pumping for the motors/rams.

So what happens is when I set it to pump, (e.g pull the external spool valve lever in the cab) the rear arms start dropping downwards unless I rev the engine, in which case they rise (perhaps even beyond the set point on the quadrant). The rear arms shouldn't drop anyway so presumably there must be a leak on the cylinder? The hydraulic output also starts to chatter/oscillate so the motor on the bale machine runs rough, and you can feel it even through to the power steering. With the PTO then engaged there's a general drop in overall pressure on the externals so it runs slow. (and still with all the above problems).

So I guess going of the other thread I started for the 2030, there must be oil leaking internally? either from a split pipe or missing o-ring. The previous owner had the hydraulic top cover off, so I wonder if he put it back on correctly. Problem is I can take it off, but without having an idea whats causing it, and with the PTO not staying engaged I'm worried of not finding anything. Old men who knows these things inside and out seem far a few between in this area :(

I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
It does sound like you have an internal leak for the rockshaft (rear arms), it could be it's valve, cylinder, or the O-ring/packing at the passage from transmission case to top cover. About the only way to bypass it is connect the pressure line that goes into the PCV (Pressure Control Valve) to the out line of the PCV.
When PTO is engaged, the loss of pressure indicates a leak, it could be split broken tube to PTO clutch. Or damaged missing O-ring on tube. The shift cover has a plate on the bottom of it that has grooves for O-rings for each tube that connects to the shift cover. They should be replaced any time the cover is removed.
There are probably test ports for the PTO clutch and brake. I am not sure where, your Tech Manual should tell.
Drawings are oil lines to shift cover, and
Map Parallel Font Rectangle Auto part
PTO shift linkage
White Product Black Rectangle Font

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, yes the picture above is the same PTO linkage, which goes down to a 90 degree pivot on the transmission pump. So going off the above picture doesn't appear to be any springs there to detente, so presumably in which case its internal.

So this morning I put an endoscope in through the rear hydraulic filler:

So I'll lift the gearstick cover shortly but I'm not sure if its a bit further towards the rear. I know its not the same but a good video on taking it apart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a quick update, I've had the gear selector cover off, replaced the o-rings, one of the smaller pipes came out with it...thankfully not falling internally! On the plate which holds the o-rings is there suppose to be a gasket between that and which it bolts to with the galleries? or is it a machined surface.

Re-assembled and just peered inside again with the endoscope and the large leak front left has completely stopped (at the moment). The one on the right mid way dripping from the top is still leaking but hopefully she's more usable after the disaster yesterday (which ended up with a bent bail machine :rolleyes:).

PTO still won't stay engaged but its working. At a slight loss what to do with that for the minute but I guess its somewhere inside, either the tranny pump or further?

Thanks for the help (y)

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
No gasket between plate and shifter cover.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software
I don't know if you could swap parts from a different tractor for the PTO to stay engaged? ON my JD 2030, the "pawl" that engages the PTO valve spool has detents and balls with springs keep it engaged. It son times pops out from a bump or jolt. Usually after a forward to reverse, or reverse to forward gear change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No gasket between plate and shifter cover.

I don't know if you could swap parts from a different tractor for the PTO to stay engaged? ON my JD 2030, the "pawl" that engages the PTO valve spool has detents and balls with springs keep it engaged. It son times pops out from a bump or jolt. Usually after a forward to reverse, or reverse to forward gear change.
I will compare it to our 2030 when I eventually recover it from the field for repairs! looks very similar from the picture. Presumably all they've done is move the location of the detente down underneath somewhere? a bungee cord does the trick for the moment :)

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
I wonder if instead of a detent, your linkage is supposed to go "over center" to hold the PTO engaged?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you might be right, looking at the picture above the top part of the linkage, rather than pushing to engage, pulling the leaver instead. I checked the lower half for over centre but it wasn't possible, and I thought the top was already correctly fitted. Thanks! I will have ago if I get a chance later to modify.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took another look and its on correctly so its something internal.

Strange problem, I had the shift cover off day before yesterday - found one of the smaller 90 degree Hi-Low pressure pipes had become detached (so it actually came out with the shift cover plate itself). I pushed it back in and that fixed the problem until a few hours ago. Its come detached again (so its being blowing out of its hole non-shift cover plate). Is something suppose to fix these pipes in apart from pushing through an o-ring either end?

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
The O-ring is what retains the tube. Possibly you used the wrong or "cheap" O-ring? I once changed some O-rings in my 2030's quick couplers (for the lever on the bottom). I used O-rings from a kit that came from an auto parts store.
Instant leak. O-rings from the dealer, by the piece, at about 10x the price, fixed the leak. That $9 kit of O-rings got tossed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The O-ring is what retains the tube. Possibly you used the wrong or "cheap" O-ring? I once changed some O-rings in my 2030's quick couplers (for the lever on the bottom). I used O-rings from a kit that came from an auto parts store.
Instant leak. O-rings from the dealer, by the piece, at about 10x the price, fixed the leak. That $9 kit of O-rings got tossed
Yes cheap O-rings and they were slightly undersized, problem is I'm using the tractor so need to wait for the delivery. The pipe I turned around to keep it in place, big mistake, I've not yet taken it apart but I wonder if its actually gone back into the plate. So going to have to open it up perhaps in the morning, its awkard working around the cab. Thanks for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.