Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I'd like to purchase a new 3039R but I would really prefer the Power Reverser transmission. I had that tranny in a JD 4500 quite a few years ago and I thought it was excellent. It shifted on the fly as smooth as any automobile tranny and the forward/reverse was great for long loader sessions. Also, I'm just not into all the electronic stuff on the ehydro. Don't like it in my truck and certainly not on my tractor. None of it seems to do what it's supposed to do as well as I can do it manually. And then there are the reliability issues.

Two problems with this though. Firstly I remember that at the time I bought the 4500 I tried a 4400 (that era's equivalent of today's 3000 series) and the Power Reverser on that tractor was a completely different beast. It was not good. It seemed to get easily stuck or jammed, both 1-4 and range change. I recall that the Service Manager at the dealership a real no bull Scotsman, confirmed that the 3000 series version PR in general (not just that particular tractor) were not well liked, lots of "drivabilty issues", but that the 4000 series was great. I decided to spend the extra bucks for the 4500 and never regretted it. So needless to say although it's been many years since, I'm a little wary of the 3000R Power Reverser.

Second problem is that up here in Ontario, the Power Reverser is almost non-existant. I told my salesman that I couldn't buy a PR tractor without trying it first and that I'd be willing to drive a long way to make that happen. He consulted his computer and found that there were none on any dealership lots in Ontario and none on order. They sell so few of them that his Service Manager couldn't offer an opinion one way or the other.

My question is to anyone out there who uses a 3000R series tractor with the Power Reverser transmission; do you like it? Does it shift smoothly and effortlessly and does the reverser feel "right" to you? Any opinons would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 3039R cab with the hydro, let me tell ya, I wouldn't have it any other way. With that being said, though, I have never driven a PR tractor though.

·
Administrator
21,272 Posts
Unlike the your old 4500, there will be plenty of electronics in a new P/R 3-series.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a 3033R with the Power Reverser Trans and I have been clearing a two acre area to build a shop. I use a grapple to clear tree limbs up and transport to the burn pit. I like this set up. I do not have a lot of seat time on different units; but I do fell this is a very smooth set up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 3033R with the Power Reverser Trans and I have been clearing a two acre area to build a shop. I use a grapple to clear tree limbs up and transport to the burn pit. I like this set up. I do not have a lot of seat time on different units; but I do fell this is a very smooth set up.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. If you're using your 3033R for brush clearing you must be changing gears and directions quite a bit. If you aren't having any trouble changing gears (1 to 2, 3 to 4 etc.) then I'd say that JD has worked the bugs out. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts