Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 314 with the Kohler K321AQS engine. When I picked up the tractor the battery was dead, it didn't turn over, it didn't do anything. Installed a new battery cleaned up the carb and she fired right up. When I engage the hydro to move forward or reverse the tractor doesn't move it just makes a high pitch squelling sound and nothing happens. I changed the hydraulic filter and fluid and still the same thing. Is there anything else that I can check that may be causing this or is my fear becoming a reality that the hydro transmission is blown?

·
Super Moderator
2,810 Posts
Check to be sure the drive shaft if connected and tight. Then check all the linkages back to the transmission. Also be sure the brakes aren't stuck. And check to be sure the free wheeling valve isn't turn in (knob in front of the seat). This lever controls the check valve, so inspect the check valves also. Here is the troubleshooting guide in the TM for not moving.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
T-Mo gave some good advice for you. If you can get a sound bite or video of the sound that would help out too. I have a service manual for your 314. What is the serial number? I can snap a few pics of the manual for you.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I won't guarantee it but my understanding from what I have read is that the high squeal is generated when the hydro goes into bypass

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good advise thus far but my bet,and the easiest to check is the freewheeling valve.
Terry mentioned it.Make sure the knob is turned all the way,then try it.

AJ

Reactions: Trav1s

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Also check to make sure the relief valve pins pop up. They should come up with the starting of the motor, provided the drive shaft is connected. It's possible they could be stuck down, if they are take them out and soak them overnight in PB Blaster to free them up.

·
Registered
321 Posts
on your 314 I don't know. Never had a 314 so know nothing about them. I have a 4300, on it if the pressure reaches 6000 psi it goes into bypass or the bypass valve could be stuck open. It is a much larger tractor so yours could be totally different with much lower pressures. I would ask Travis or someone with a manual to send you the hydro section of the manual that covers this and maybe the troubleshooting section. I agree to make sure the brakes aren't stuck. I'm just thinking it could be something that is causing it to go into bypass.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If you want I can snap a pic of the "troubleshooting" section of my 300/312/314/316K manual and email it to you. Got a serial number on the machine?

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
I know there is a serial # break for the 314 in the printing of the manuals. I think mine is for the earlier #s I don't remember where the break is. I believe the trannys are the same. My manual is out at the farm.

If all of the above is OK you are probably looking at a problem with the charge pump. Not a difficult or terribly expensive fix. I changed it out on my 318 a few years ago. There may be some things I'm missing and would like to look at the manual.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I just grabbed my manual and the big differences during the run are linkages, drive shaft, and electrical. Let me know if you want any info from the manual.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Here's a couple of PDFs from the manual that might help.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks MDrew

Travs1 - I'll check on the serial #, pretty sure it's an 83.

One thing I was thinking about was what if I sheared the pin off inside the charge pump? If the pin is sheared off will the cooling fan still operate when the engine is running?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've also been thinking even if the charge pump pin is sheared why can't I get the tractor to free wheel by turning down the free wheel knob or holding the relief valves down? I did jack up the back to get the wheels off of the ground and the back wheels do spin freely in opposite directions.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I've also been thinking even if the charge pump pin is sheared why can't I get the tractor to free wheel by turning down the free wheel knob or holding the relief valves down? I did jack up the back to get the wheels off of the ground and the back wheels do spin freely in opposite directions.
If the wheels are off the ground than they will spin in opposite directions before you move anything in the trans. If the tractor has split brakes I would have a person hold one and the try to turn the opposite wheel after turning the free wheeling valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.