Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a John Deere 325 with a 48c mower deck on it. The middle spindle will not take grease properly. The grease comes out the side of the spindle instead of going down into the bearings. How do you take the grease zert out to clean the hole? There is no threads on the zert, is it pressed in or what.
Thanks in adavance, Jim

·
Administrator
17,289 Posts
Welcome to DT!

Hopefully someone will have a answer for you shortly, because I have no clue...

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
How do you know there are not any threads on the zerk? Is there a place to put a wrench on it?

I looked at my deck last night and I cannot see any threads, but there is a place to put a wrench on the zerk. I have to guess all the threads are turned into the spindle on mine?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Parts Photo

I am sure the photo is not a huge help, but here it is. I am thinking the same as Brian, check for a hex.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Seems at the moment JDParts site isn't working,so I can't check,but I thought all the deck bearings were the same....sealed.
Not sure about the 48C though. I have seen pics of deck spindles that had grease fittings but the bearings were sealed.:unknown:

Greg

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Some grease fittings do have a press fit. The press in zerks still have the hex shape like the thread-in style. Have you tried to run a piece of wire or small drill bit into the grease hole to see if you have hardened grease or an unfinished hole in your spindle?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I would pull the spindle, use a wire to probe the hole for blockage, Pump some grease through the zerk if possible. If it is still a no go situation pull the zerk, drill the shaft hole the proper size for a tap, thread the hole, clean out any cuttings, thread in new zerk and be on your way. The link Tackit gave shows the sizes of holes drilled in the shaft. Step up in size,ie if hole is 1/4" drill and tap for 5/16". Drill just deep enough to put enough threads in to hold and seal the zerk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts