Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have acquired a John Deere 332 from my father that has passed away. It does run well but the starter has always been an issue. I decided I have had enough and have started working on the machine. We’ve removed the starter and found the solenoid to be faulty. I was searching eBay and found a starter that was decently priced (JD wanted $486 for a new one) so I went ahead and bought it as the engine model number and tractor model number matched in the description. The problem we are having now is that it seems the bendix is just hitting the flywheel and now actually engaging it. The motor spins as it should and it does run. We have taken the flywheel cover off so we can see what is going on. We are unsure what to do next. I have also taken the starter that was originally on the tractor and had it rebuilt and it is doing the exact same thing that the one from eBay was doing. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Have you tried the installing a starting improvement relay?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello all, I have acquired a John Deere 332 from my father that has passed away. It does run well but the starter has always been an issue. I decided I have had enough and have started working on the machine. We’ve removed the starter and found the solenoid to be faulty. I was searching eBay and found a starter that was decently priced (JD wanted $486 for a new one) so I went ahead and bought it as the engine model number and tractor model number matched in the description. The problem we are having now is that it seems the bendix is just hitting the flywheel and now actually engaging it. The motor spins as it should and it does run. We have taken the flywheel cover off so we can see what is going on. We are unsure what to do next. I have also taken the starter that was originally on the tractor and had it rebuilt and it is doing the exact same thing that the one from eBay was doing. Thank you for any help.
I have not did not know there was such a thing lol still pretty new to the “tractor” world.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The starter improvement kit ensures enough power is going to the solenoid to activate it. Starter motor is turning so solenoid is activated.

Sounds like an alignment issue. With mounting bolts slightly loose, can starter be moved closer/further from engine block? Bob

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Keep your original starter motor and solenoid which is quality construction and can be rebuilt. The inexpensive aftermarket starters are known to have quality and fit issues.

Your 332 does not have a Bendix -- this is a solenoid-shift starter where the solenoid both closes the high current electrical connections to power the starter motor AND moves the pinion gear into mesh with the ring gear on the flywheel. Perhaps your description of "bendix" is just a terminology issue, or maybe the replacement starter is really that incompatible.

What was the original issue with the starter that came on the tractor? If it often just 'clicked' and did not turn then the key switch may be worn/corroded. As with all solenoid-shift starters, the use of the starter improvement kit from Deere can help as Ironhorse mentioned above, although the 332 has a neutral start relay that addresses most of this potential issue . Here is what that kit entails, and note that it does not include the 332 in the list of tractors it is designed to address:
Font Adapter Technology Cable Audio equipment

The wiring of your 332 starter circuit is as follows:
Font Parallel Schematic Engineering Diagram

Let us know what you find when you inspect the original starter...if you want to test it per the TM1591 that section is attached below.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep your original starter motor and solenoid which is quality construction and can be rebuilt. The inexpensive aftermarket starters are known to have quality and fit issues.

Your 332 does not have a Bendix -- this is a solenoid-shift starter where the solenoid both closes the high current electrical connections to power the starter motor AND moves the pinion gear into mesh with the ring gear on the flywheel. Perhaps your description of "bendix" is just a terminology issue, or maybe the replacement starter is really that incompatible.

What was the original issue with the starter that came on the tractor? If it often just 'clicked' and did not turn then the key switch may be worn/corroded. As with all solenoid-shift starters, the use of the starter improvement kit from Deere can help as Ironhorse mentioned above, although the 332 has a neutral start relay that addresses most of this potential issue . Here is what that kit entails, and note that it does not include the 332 in the list of tractors it is designed to address:
View attachment 780413

The wiring of your 332 starter circuit is as follows:
View attachment 780415

Let us know what you find when you inspect the original starter...if you want to test it per the TM1591 that section is attached below.

Chuck
Hey Chuck, I think you are correct that i am just using the wrong terms. The original issue was the starter motor would run but the motor would not turn over. You could turn the ignition time after time and eventually it would turn the flywheel and the engine would start. We have the front taken part and the flywheel exposed at the moment and we have take the ring gear off and flipped it over as the teeth on one side were somewhat worn. Also I have replaced the ignition switch already. And I have had the original starter rebuilt and the pinion comes and it seems to just tap the teeth on the ring gear. I am not sure what the issue may be kinda dumbfounded at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Chuck, I think you are correct that i am just using the wrong terms. The original issue was the starter motor would run but the motor would not turn over. You could turn the ignition time after time and eventually it would turn the flywheel and the engine would start. We have the front taken part and the flywheel exposed at the moment and we have take the ring gear off and flipped it over as the teeth on one side were somewhat worn. Also I have replaced the ignition switch already. And I have had the original starter rebuilt and the pinion comes and it seems to just tap the teeth on the ring gear. I am not sure what the issue may be kinda dumbfounded at this point.

That is the link to the starter I bought, for reference. It seemed really similar to the original I took off.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I believe that your 332 uses the same Hitachi starter assembly as my 322 tractors used. Here is the section from the CTM12 engine rebuild for my tractor that describes the rebuild of such a starter (and also the Nippon version that was used at some point.) I can also attach the section from the CTM3 diesel engine manual later if that is helpful -- but it covers a lot of other models and is a bit hard to follow.

I have never reversed a ring gear on these flywheels, but do recall the the stock flywheel has lead-in bevels on the teeth to assist in meshing the ring with the pinion -- are these bevels still present when the ring is reversed? If not, this will make engagement more difficult.

Having the original starter energize/spin but not engage the ring gear and crank the engine sounds like a pinion travel issue -- perhaps a bent fork or worn pivot. Parts 9 and 10 are shims that adjust the relative travel of the solenoid plunger to the movement of the pinion and assist in coordinating the closure of the high current contacts with the engagement of the pinion. There use is shown "as required" in the parts list, so maybe ADDING ONE will help compensate for any wear... (more shims mean more travel.)

Chuck

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Another thing to check is the mounting tabs on the starter getting fully down on the mating surface of the engine block...if there is a nick or burr in the starter lip that fits into the large hole, it may be keeping the assemble propped out a bit. Unlikely, but worth checking...

Chuck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Chuck, I do believe the bevels are the same on both sides of the flywheel. I will check when I get off work if I am correct or not in case I have made a mistake by reversing it. The teeth weren’t too bad on the other side I was just trying to do it as a preventative measure while I had it apart. Also, in regards to worn pivot and fork I would assume those would have been replaced in the rebuild of the starter that I paid for at a local shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts