Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can pour gas into the carb and it will fire right up and die when gas is spent. I unhooked hose and gas is pumping very good but appears it is notgetting to the carb. All hoses seem to be good and no leaks. Any suggestions also is there anyway to clean carb or float without having to disassemble

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
The float should be easy to get to with out much disassembly. If you can get it running by getting the float clean you can try draining the old gas and replace it with fresh gas and SeaFoam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,354 Posts
Just about any automotive business or Wally world sells a product Instant start or name close to that you pour in the fuel tank and carb to get the mower running
At Advance it is with the lawn mower part items, probably same for the other stores.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,594 Posts
x2 on the Sea Foam.
Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me, if it has one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John Deere 345

x2 on the Sea Foam.
Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me, if it has one.
Thanks for the replys. The fuel pump is working great. Took hose loose and put end in bottle and it half filled a coke 16 oz bottle within a matter of a few seconds. Dosen't appear to be getting gas into inside carb to fuel jet. Gas line from fuel pump to carb had gas in it. You can use starting fluid or gas poured in to carb and it will crank right up but die once gas burns out. Could it be a bad fuel shotoff solenoid. Is there a way to check the fuel shut off solenoid to see if it is bad. Thanks again for everyones help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure if there's a float bowl drain. If there is, try to drain the bowl. If there's no drain, then remove bowl. If gas drains out, then it's not the needle or solenoid, and most likely a clogged jet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,594 Posts
Thanks for the replys. The fuel pump is working great. Took hose loose and put end in bottle and it half filled a coke 16 oz bottle within a matter of a few seconds. Dosen't appear to be getting gas into inside carb to fuel jet. Gas line from fuel pump to carb had gas in it. You can use starting fluid or gas poured in to carb and it will crank right up but die once gas burns out. Could it be a bad fuel shotoff solenoid. Is there a way to check the fuel shut off solenoid to see if it is bad. Thanks again for everyones help.
I had a very similar issue with a garden tractor of ours, all seem to be correct and working. I friend of mine told me to go out and pressurize the gas tank by putting my mouth over the filler neck and blow into the tank and not let any air out of the tank while doing it. I did just that and then jumped on the tractor and it started right up. I had to do that for a couple of days until the new fuel pump came in. Simple test.

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
I've seen a bunch of those fuel shutoff solenoids on the bottom of the bowl foul up with goo and essentially starve the engine for fuel. If that's the issue you may be lucky and be able to clean it up and get the plunger to move freely again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John deere 345

I've seen a bunch of those fuel shutoff solenoids on the bottom of the bowl foul up with goo and essentially starve the engine for fuel. If that's the issue you may be lucky and be able to clean it up and get the plunger to move freely again.
Thanks to everyone especially Jason. Pulled the fuel shutoff off and check for voltage showed ok but the pin was stuck in open position' With a little pressure on pin was able to get it to move. So we cleaned the pin and used the starter switch to move pin in and out, cleaned the resdue off with carb cleaner. Started right up but missing. Next step drained the old gas out of tank refueled with new gas now starts and runs 100% better with slight roughness. Have already installed new plugs. I will get a little seaform for gas tank tomorrow and I thank it will it run a little better

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the solenoid plunger was gummed up, the carburetor jet is most likely gummed up too. The hole in the jet is only a few thousandths of an inch in diameter, so a little gunk makes a big difference. Manually cleaning it will work much better than trying to chemically clean it with a super diluted product like seafoam. It's merely a matter of removing the jet with a flat tip screwdriver, and cleaning it with a fine pin or bristle and some carb cleaner.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts