Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into a 2 row John Deere 7100 planter to do about an acre of sweet corn.

I just recently got 4" wheel spacers for each rear wheel... Wondering if I will be fine with the 2 row or if it would be better to go with a 4 row?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I have a 71 3 row that I use behind my 4520. Its perfect for me as I use the rear tire tracks as my row marker and I drive right back over the center of the track for perfect spacing. While you could pull a 4 row, you would be driving over your 2 outside rows with your tires since R-4's are wider and you have them spaced out.

Not that driving over the row before you plant is the end of the world, but you would have to adjust the outside 2 planters differently than the inside 2. Also, if this will be a 3 point implement, your narrower compact tractor will tip side to since more than the wider ag tractors causing you to have to put more pressure on the unit to keep it in the ground at all times. IF you did go 4 row, I would get one that was a draw bar pull type model.

I plant 4 acres of corn and use it to plant area of the field that our planter missed. Nice to use since you do not need much seed in it to work.

I would suggest you stick with a 2 row for the little you will be planting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.