Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever figured out the PTO situation on the 3D tractors. I’ve heard everything from a live PTO to a two stage clutch to a PTO setup like an old 8n ford. I really like the 3D tractors but if the PTO is gonna shut off every time I want to switch into reverse when mowing it kinda feels like Deere took a step back 50 years.
Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is the PTO operated by an electric switch on the 3D models?
If so, on my 3R model, you pull up on the switch, BEFORE starting to back up, then once you have started to back up you can release the switch and back up all you want with PTO still running.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
You can access the 3D Operator's Manuals on the JD website, which contains details on PTO operation. Also, if you look at the illustrated parts diagrams you will see that they do not have a 2-stage clutch.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
So the 3 series has a RIO? That is interesting. My 4 series does not. Not sure what that means. I bypassed that right away on the 1025R that I had. It is a pain.

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 3R rear PTO does not shut off in reverse. I don't know if the mid PTO would as I don't have a mid PTO.

Before I bought my 3R I demoed a 3D, I really liked that tractor. I don't remember the PTO shutting off in reverse. But I cant say for certain that I tried it. I did notice that you can not have the PTO running if the operator is not in the seat. That was one of the reasons I did not buy a 3D

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I did not think about the mmm as maybe being the one that requires the RIO, rather than the rear PTO. And maybe that is why I do not have that issue with my 4066R as it does not have a mid PTO.

I believe that the PTO can be operated without the operator being in the driver's seat. You just cannot leave the seat while it is running without it shutting off. You must turn it on without being in the seat. There really is not that much difference between a 3M and a 3D. Mostly advertising to make you think you are getting more than you really are.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Don’t know about the 4 series, but on the 2 series, which has the mid pto, we turned it off in the computer. There is a YouTube video on how to do it. I have all of my stuff turned off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did not think about the mmm as maybe being the one that requires the RIO, rather than the rear PTO. And maybe that is why I do not have that issue with my 4066R as it does not have a mid PTO.

I believe that the PTO can be operated without the operator being in the driver's seat. You just cannot leave the seat while it is running without it shutting off. You must turn it on without being in the seat. There really is not that much difference between a 3M and a 3D. Mostly advertising to make you think you are getting more than you really are.

Dave
I wont say that I am an expert on the 3D, but I am pretty sure that you can not operate the PTO unless you are in the seat. I tried all the combinations that I could think of, consulted the manual, and asked the dealer. I was not able to make it work. But again I am not an expert so I could be wrong.

The main thing that stopped me from the 3D is that the hydraulic pump and loader did not have the capacity I needed. Which is a shame because you can get the 3D with a MSL loader and that is what I wanted.

·
Premium Member
15,211 Posts
OMSJ32078

Pretty vague to say the least.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 3R rear PTO does not shut off in reverse. I don't know if the mid PTO would as I don't have a mid PTO.

Before I bought my 3R I demoed a 3D, I really liked that tractor. I don't remember the PTO shutting off in reverse. But I cant say for certain that I tried it. I did notice that you can not have the PTO running if the operator is not in the seat. That was one of the reasons I did not buy a 3D
Yes, my mistake, it is just the mid PTO the RIO is in effect with. Rear stays on in reverse.
I’ve been using the snowblower so much, that’s what I was thinking about!

Reactions: PJR832

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
So the 3 series has a RIO? That is interesting. My 4 series does not. Not sure what that means. I bypassed that right away on the 1025R that I had. It is a pain.

Dave

My understanding is that the compacts that have a mid-PTO have RIO. RIO has no effect on the rear PTO. If you have no mid-PTO there is no RIO. So the 3-series equipped with a mid-PTO have RIO but those that don't have a mid-PTO don't.

But I don't think that's what the OP is talking about.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
My understanding is that the compacts that have a mid-PTO have RIO. RIO has no effect on the rear PTO. If you have no mid-PTO there is no RIO. So the 3-series equipped with a mid-PTO have RIO but those that don't have a mid-PTO don't.

But I don't think that's what the OP is talking about.
Correct. The OP wanted to know if the rear PTO is going to stop when he pushes in the clutch to change direction. From reading the manual and looking at the parts illustration I say YES. The D-series does not have a 2-stage clutch (it has a solid drive shaft). So anytime you push in the clutch (which is required to switch from forward to reverse) you completely disengage the engine from the drive train. So everything behind the engine stops... including the PTO.

Tractors with a 2-stage clutch have a hollow drive shaft, inside which runs a second drive shaft. This allows the transmission components to run separately from the PTO components. You would push the clutch in part way to stop the tractor motion only and then push the clutch in the whole way to stop the tractor motion and PTO.

This is how the Operator's Manual describes it...

4. Release the clutch pedal to begin PTO operation.
5. To disengage PTO, depress the clutch pedal, and
move PTO control lever (C) to NEUTRAL position (D)
as shown.

Reactions: trav
1 - 12 of 12 Posts