Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and recently purchased a John Deere 4040. The tractor runs great but I recently noticed that when warmed up there is a small hydraulic leak coming from under the right side of the cab. The leak only seems to occur when the brakes are applied. Both brakes function normally. When looking under the cab all I can tell is that the leak appears to be coming possibly from the hoses that go up into the cab above the attenuator since all of the of the lines below them have oil on them. The leak appears to be small and I'm trying to see how big of a job is this to do? Is it best to let the dealer mess with it? How much would it be to have fixed ( ballpark)? Or this just part of owning a 40 year old tractor and not something to worry about? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts

If it is the valve ^^^(above link) leaking, a rebuild kit is available vvvv below link.
John Deere Parts Catalog

Those kits aren't really that expensive, I'm guessing less then $75. You can create a profile on JD parts then look up your tractor and the rebuild kit and it will tell you the price and if it's in stock locally. You can always take the valve off yourself let a mechanic rebuild it with your parts and install it back.. IF that's where the leak is..

The links posted are for several tractors, make sure you check for your tractor and serial.. To be sure or correct parts..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your going to need to take the panels off the dash in the cab and any other sheet metal obstructing your view and clean everything really good to find where the leak is coming from. There are too many possibilities to guess. Hoses, hyd. lines, valves. Looking under the cab and seeing where it's possibly coming from is just that a guess.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Welcome to GTT
Remove cowling in frt of dash & panel on cab floor under dash to help determine what's leaking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts