Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"ve been reading lots of conversations and discussions here on the John Deere 4066 tractor and I thought that it's time to start asking questions.

Our first tractor was (and is) a JD 4310 and we have had it now for almost 14 years probably only about 1200 hours on it and we have a tractor mechanic up the street that does an excellent job on any issues we have had (with one exception that requited JD dealer)... over the years I've put up with the sluggishness of the tractor pulling a 5' LX5 brush hog or a 6' frontier finishing mower when I have to use in on our small hills.. the 4310 pto is only 25hp . Other than that its' been a really good tractor and we plan to keep it.

I have seen a lot of comments on "Bogging Down" of tractors and especially with ehydro which mine is and so when I want to cut the small hilly area of the property I get so bogged down I can probably walk faster than the tractor under load .. Other than that the 4310 is a great unit, has a FEL and a few attachments...

Over the last couple of years I've been thinking of upgrading to another tractor so I started to look at the new 4 series and now have worked my way all the way up to the Open station 4066r model I started looking at the 4052 but for the little cost to go to the 66 I felt it was well worth the upgrade.... so, that is where I am 4066r open station so far. We have about 25 acres 17 witch I cut from time to time.. we run hay off the 17 acres so if it's a good hay year my cutting the whole property is much less than when we have a bad hay year. I sub out the hay cutting and bailing, (just not worth the expense of owning all the equipment to do it on our own... but, then, I have to clean the property up afterwards... we have 3 ponds and a variety of trees that leaves leftovers after cutting the hay...

I have held off on upgrading because of all the emission issues.. it's scary and on the 4066 is no different, I have been reading a wide range of issues but that spans about 4 years and I think it was just last year or this year JD finally came out with the emissions 4 standard on this tractor. My initial thought was just go with the 4066m, upgrade the seat and put a top on it and I'd be good to go... .but, then I noticed alot of the features on my 4310 are not on the 4066m such as cruise load match and a few other things... I really like that back up from off the tractor which I think is a great feature..but to get it, you have to go up to the R. OUCH... I"m 68 and every year that getting up and down to set up for adding attachments... but, it's a big jump from the M to the R (No Cab because of trees...I'd take it off the first week I'd own it...

So I guess I"d ask is the R additional $3 or 4,000 bump worth it I have a hobby farm, not a commercial business, I only use it on our property and have the 4310 and a new JD 930m Zturn (last year) I worry (just like a car) more gizmo's the more chance of an issue... The warranty on the JD is great, but it isn't on everything... and I'm not sure if the electronics would be part of it other than the first year.... Is the 4066's pretty stable now and have most of the kinks been worked out? Even with the warranty JD won't do on location repairs and it has to be towed in to the dealer.

I know the 4066 is overkill probably but the difference between the 52 and 66 isn't that much but, the 4044 I think would be not enough of an upgrade in power it would not be worth the cost...

So, I'll use this as a starter... look forward to hearing others comments on the 4066.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Welcome to GTT.

The additional features of the R are worth the upgrade cost IMHO. You already mention the Hitch Assist. It’s great for hooking up the drawbar or a 3pt implement. My 4044R has plenty of power to do what I need and I stepped up from a 27 HP 790. As far as bogging down, it really doesn’t, but if you suspect it might, turn on Load Match. I didn’t think it worked at first as I didn’t notice any difference. But reading posts here, I found that it has to be turned on before you start moving not while you’re moving. The automotive style cruise control is great too. It also has accel and decel.

I thought about getting a 4052R, but I didn’t need the extra HP. If you’re settled on a 4066R, it will do anything you ask of it. I’ve operated a lot of different tractors through the years and the 4R is the most comfortable tractor I’ve ever operated. It’s very roomy and all the controls are exactly where you would expect them to be.

As far as emissions, it’s designed to take care of itself automatically. If you let it do the Active Regen when it starts, there’s no problem. Your only involvement is to raise the RPM above 1500 if it’s lower. You can still use the tractor while it’s performing a Regen. My tractor has 230 hrs and has performed 4 Active Regens. The last one, I was operating the wood chipper at 2200 RPM and I didn’t know the Active Regen was functioning until I needed to move the tractor.

Good luck and when you get one, don’t forget we like to see photos!

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
The 4066R with Tier IV emissions came out in 2014. I have a 2014 cab 4066R hydro with over 700 hours. Do not worry about the emissions stuff. Just let it do it's thing. However, once it decides it needs to do a regen, let it complete before you shut it down. I stopped it once, but you cannot continue to do that without causing problems. One thing for sure, that 4066R will cure your problems of being sluggish. I run a 110 inch RFM and it does not even kick in the turbo when mowing my yard. I also run a 10ft Rhino 3pt brush hog and it easily handles that. And I am doing that with the A/C running, but still with plenty of HP.

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to GTT.

The additional features of the R are worth the upgrade cost IMHO. You already mention the Hitch Assist. It’s great for hooking up the drawbar or a 3pt implement. My 4044R has plenty of power to do what I need and I stepped up from a 27 HP 790. As far as bogging down, it really doesn’t, but if you suspect it might, turn on Load Match. I didn’t think it worked at first as I didn’t notice any difference. But reading posts here, I found that it has to be turned on before you start moving not while you’re moving. The automotive style cruise control is great too. It also has accel and decel.

I thought about getting a 4052R, but I didn’t need the extra HP. If you’re settled on a 4066R, it will do anything you ask of it. I’ve operated a lot of different tractors through the years and the 4R is the most comfortable tractor I’ve ever operated. It’s very roomy and all the controls are exactly where you would expect them to be.

As far as emissions, it’s designed to take care of itself automatically. If you let it do the Active Regen when it starts, there’s no problem. Your only involvement is to raise the RPM above 1500 if it’s lower. You can still use the tractor while it’s performing a Regen. My tractor has 230 hrs and has performed 4 Active Regens. The last one, I was operating the wood chipper at 2200 RPM and I didn’t know the Active Regen was functioning until I needed to move the tractor.

Good luck and when you get one, don’t forget we like to see photos!
Lee, thanks so much for your reply and information I really appreciate it and was glad to hear you think the upgrade from M to R is a smart move.. Like I said, I have quite a few of the same options on my 4310 with Load Match, cruise an upgraded suspension seat which are not on the M series... I really think that easy hitch is great and I know I will use it. I probably don't need the 66hp.. but who knows and it's cheaper to get it now than to change again in a few years.... Then again... I do love power :) After talking with our Hay guy, I may have the SVC valve put on the back for 4+5.... and then, I'm good for anything...

Also, thanks for the info on the regen you have experienced.

If we order now they say late November delivery, so I am guessing it will be a 2021 model.. but not sure.. If I end up going forward I will take photos when it gets here.. One thing I need to talk with the dealer about and that is that Tri-Green offers a upgrade to 10 years warranty over the standard 6 years but, I"M not sure what all that covers and I"ll be finding more about that this week.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Definitely go with 4th and 5th SCV's. I use mine a lot. One is used continually with my hyd top link.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JDLTG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 4066R with Tier IV emissions came out in 2014. I have a 2014 cab 4066R hydro with over 700 hours. Do not worry about the emissions stuff. Just let it do it's thing. However, once it decides it needs to do a regen, let it complete before you shut it down. I stopped it once, but you cannot continue to do that without causing problems. One thing for sure, that 4066R will cure your problems of being sluggish. I run a 110 inch RFM and it does not even kick in the turbo when mowing my yard. I also run a 10ft Rhino 3pt brush hog and it easily handles that. And I am doing that with the A/C running, but still with plenty of HP.

Dave
Afternoon Dave, thanks for the reply on the 4066r, that is great about the power ...I've dealt with the 4310 for 14 yeas and it finally caught up with me last week... So, I started out looking at the 4066m and that would probably be fine since I had quoted a real nice upgraded suspension seat and a top (not cab) ...then I stared to look in to it more and saw some of the other features of the R and my wish list moved up to the R I'll know more over the week and see what the numbers come in at and see if I want to splurge for it... I had not thought of the rear SVC but I may opt for it if I can work it out that would give the option to other things I I want.. I'm sure I will have lots of more questions but this is a good start.. Thanks for your time.
Dave

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Hhhmmm, maybe I need to set it up like those guys at the truck and tractor pulls and watch the black smoke roll.

Dave

Reactions: ttazzman and JDLTG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely go with 4th and 5th SCV's. I use mine a lot. One is used continually with my hyd top link.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro
I am having the dealer quote the addition of the 4th and 5th SVC I think they said it was about $1600, we will see.. but, all I have is a current LX 5 brush Hog, 6' finish mower and a 6' box blade.. I am getting a 6' frontier bushhog with the tractor as well. I have not had the need for SVC valves at all, they say weather I get it when I get the tractor or after it is the same price... and they do the install on site. I"m up in the air on this one because I just don't know what I would use it for ... I"ll keep it in mind.... at least with the 66 I"ll have enough power to do about anything I want.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
You can run a lot bigger equipment than what you listed. When I bought my 4066R, I bought a 6ft brush hog, but never used it. I sold it when I bought the 10ft brush hog.
Dave

Reactions: Toyocruiser

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can run a lot bigger equipment than what you listed. When I bought my 4066R, I bought a 6ft brush hog, but never used it. I sold it when I bought the 10ft brush hog.
Dave
Well I had thought of going a little bigger.. and may explore that, but, the guy that cuts my hay has an 8' he said I could use if I want... but even as it is, I ended up buying the 930m Ztrac to clean up around the trees because even the 5' was a bit of a pain in the butt...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have 23 acres and purchased a brand new 4066R open station in 2016. The cruise control is important to me when I am mowing and I don’t want to keep pushing the hydro pedal. Also, when roto tilling,I can set the cruise at 1.0 mph and not worry about my speed - that allows me to focus more on the tiller instead of constantly watching the speedometer.
The rear fender controls are useful to me. I use them alot.
I have a 6 foot rotary cutter and the 4066R has never bogged down, even when mowing very tall thick weeds and grass.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Well I had thought of going a little bigger.. and may explore that, but, the guy that cuts my hay has an 8' he said I could use if I want... but even as it is, I ended up buying the 930m Ztrac to clean up around the trees because even the 5' was a bit of a pain in the butt...
That 8ft cutter is going to be cat2. Therefore not a quick hookup since your tractor is cat1. You would have to change the pins to cat1 from cat2 each time you wanted to "borrow" it. Then change it back for him to use. Would take some adjustments to even have a chance of the iMatch working, if you have one.

Dave

Reactions: GKofTX

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That 8ft cutter is going to be cat2. Therefore not a quick hookup since your tractor is cat1. You would have to change the pins to cat1 from cat2 each time you wanted to "borrow" it. Then change it back for him to use. Would take some adjustments to even have a chance of the iMatch working, if you have one.

Dave
Thanks Dave for the explanation, There are sure a lot of things to consider in all this... I've not had a chance to the dealer about the tractors and pricing yet, got kind of crazy, our hay guys showed up and today they finished 34 6x4 rounds bales... When I did talk with the dealer he said I'd have to wait until proably November for the tractor on a new order... so I guess no hurry at this point...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I thought I"d update my status on a 4066... and the answer is... Door number 1.. the JD 4066m ... Yea I know the R and the HD has a lot of upgrades.. .I priced out them and at this point with my discounts at JD and promotions the upgrade would have been another $10,000 which I just can't justify right now.. But, I did upgrade the seat to a BLV 10402A01 Suspension seat, Imatch, a JD LVB25334 canopy, ehydro and upgraded R4 tires. It's not an R, or an HD, but I looked at the optons I have on my current tractor and what I really used ... the M will be far more than what I need at this point... I also got a RC2072 6' brush hog as well... I know I could go bigger, but I've got trees and areas the 8' would be a pain... The dealer is also throwing in the conversion kit for my Frontier GM2072 finishing mower to Imatch along with the package.

I appreciate everyone's input and from what I have read you guys use a tractor a lot more than I ever will... I just deiced to go the 66 because if I ever want to do more the power will be here... I wish you could just order hitch assist but you cant.. .Cruise control.. would be nice if I was driving up to the mechanics house... bu that's about one every 2 years. I"m sure the other options would be nice but for the HUGE increase over what I was able to negotiate it just didn't make sense.

One thing, the dealer had just got in an HD... so I gave it a spin.. first comment.. The Seat would have to go.. they changed the seat to 2 coil springs under the seat frame and 2 HARD rubber disks that the seat actually hits when bouncing... it was not a fun ride at all.

I"ll know next week when t will come in but the dealer said probably November... Oh well.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions..
Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts