Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if it is the axle leaking or what that is. I was in reverse pulling a stump out and I heard a pop. Now when you turn left or right it makes a popping/clicking sound while leaking fluid.

I can't visually see anything externally wrong with it other than the fluid leaking.

Can't afford to take it somewhere to get it fixed and we rely on it to mow our property. Does anyone have any idea what I need to fix? Here is a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You seriously overloaded the front axle pulling in reverse.
Likely broke a tooth off a gear in the Knuckle area....Hopefully.
Those parts are the cheapest.

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
ur gonna have to tear that knuckle down and drop the gear case to see what u tore up in it. like the duke said probably dropped a tooth off of something.. do u have a technical manual for it? if not-since u want to do the work urself. good luck with it

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I'm going to start working on it tomorrow to see what I find.
I unfortunately do not have a technical manual and have been having an extremely hard time finding one that isn't a fortune....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is what I have apart so far. I know I need to take this apart even further. Does anyone have any know how to do that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, here are some more. We purchased a manual but I'm still not sure exactly what we are looking for and how to get this stuff apart.
Machine Metal Machine tool Bicycle part Auto part
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fluid Alloy wheel Motor vehicle
Machine Metal Machine tool Bicycle part Auto part
mo
Gas Machine tool Machine Wood Metal
Automotive tire Bicycle part Machine tool Nut Gas
Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Tire Motor vehicle

I know the bearing is bad in this last pic and the shaft with year will hardly turn or gets hung up, but I don't know how to get the shaft and bearing out to install a new one.

The first pics in the other housing I also don't know how to take a part and the gears inside our just sitting and are loose flopping around in the housing. The teeth look good so far from what I can see.....but I also haven't figured out how to get this apart......or at least get it apart the way I am supposed to so I don't destroy other good parts in the process?? Thanks for looking and any help given!! We really rely on this tractor And our 3 acres of lawn is starting to get high.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
The last picture, is that the axle / spindle that's still on the tractor? Or the lower spindle that you removed?
I'm in the middle of the same job on a much older JD tractor.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just went through this last summer with my 2320.

First off, in your first picture the top of the spindle with the steering assy needs to pounded up and off. I used a rubber mallet.

Once you have that out you will see the seal at the top. I had to replace that and the big seal between the upper and lower half. It was a bitch to get out.

I wire wheeled the surfaces as I had rust like you.

You can then start to pull the gears out and check all bearings. Be care full as you pull them out because the go in an order.

In you last pictures, you have the spindle gear going the wrong way, it drops into it with the other end.

When assembling, make sure you use gear lube and if the gear will not go into the bearing don't force it as you will just bind it up.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I don't want to give any bad advice but it sure looks like that shaft (#14 in the diagram) should just slip right out of the bearing and come out. Things don't look right to me, the shaft coming out an angle, the fact that it's stuck in there, and what looks like a broken piece of the bearing...I think that pop you heard was the small end of that input shaft failing and destroying the bearing in the process, and jamming stuck in the bearing. If that shaft doesn't want to easily slip out, I'd try to carefully hold it with a vice with some pieces of wood, and try smacking the housing carefully with something like a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like your doctoring, it reminds me of the days I used to roof and would use duct tape and rag to bandage as needed.
Hahaha thanks! I get hurt way too much to let it get in the way and I always seem to have to work on something so that's just it, I make the best of it with whatever is near me and keep going.
I was dumb enough to try to hold the angle adapter on a very high powered impact wrench so it didn't slip off a bolt and strip it.......it worked, but completely trashed the inside of my thumb lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, I used a combination of your advice so far and was able to get most everything apart, or at least what I need to anyways.
What's interesting is a found no damage to anything other than that one bearing.....I now also see what was popping.
I didn't take specific close up pics of it but I can see the 2 gears below that they slipped on each.
Fortunately the damage in my opinion is very minor and I don't think will cause any issues.
Sorry, I thought I took a pic of the other gear but I guess not. Its the biggest gear that meshes with the spindle gear or whatever it's called in the picture. I will try to take better pics later. Tool Automotive tire Metalworking hand tool Gas Auto part

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As of now I plan on buying at least one bearing and 2 seals.
A have the service manual with pics but it doesn't give part numbers unless I'm blind lol.
Any suggestions on how I go about finding the parts to order them? Just not sure without a part number to lookup or tell the person working at john deere?

Also......here are some updated pics , I ended up getting the other stuff out also after this Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Machine Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Auto part Machine ... Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle chain Rim

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
that last pic u have posted-a brass bushing rides on it---ad that is what wore out on my 2520 and left it get loose enough to leak the oil. did u find my write up on here? gtt i mean-i have a few pics of what happened to mine.

u can look up ur parts thru JDParts-by using ur serial number off the tractor. these fellas on gtt taught me how to use it yrs ago. before that i had no idea how to look parts up. i enjoy it now.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to leave anyone hanging....I have been super busy working on a bunch of projects.
I was able to order the parts I need and they should be here tomorrow!
Hopefully I have it up and going by Thursday. I will keep everyone updated.
Thanks so much for everyone's help also, I would be stuck right now without you guys!🙂

1 - 19 of 19 Posts