Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just purchased a John Deere 485 backhoe attachment for my 4120. Does anyone have instructions or advise as how to install it on my tractor? I finally saved up enough to buy one after waiting since 2010 when I bought the Tractor. I couldn’t afford it then. I hadn’t quite saved up enough though to have the dealer install it so I’m going at it myself. I also had to buy the hydraulic oil cooler so it took up more $$ as well. Looking for help on this monumental task.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I’ve just purchased a John Deere 485 backhoe attachment for my 4120. Does anyone have instructions or advise as how to install it on my tractor? I finally saved up enough to buy one after waiting since 2010 when I bought the Tractor. I couldn’t afford it then. I hadn’t quite saved up enough though to have the dealer install it so I’m going at it myself. I also had to buy the hydraulic oil cooler so it took up more $$ as well. Looking for help on this monumental task.
Thanks
Congratulations on your purchase.

Here is a link to the Owners Manual online.....I didn't read through it, but it has sections on installation and operation.

OMLVU23696_E0

Did you purchase it new from the dealer? It should have owners / operators manual and Installation Guide.

Also, If it has a black plastic tube mounted on it, about 6" in diameter and maybe 12" to 15" long, look inside this tube for the operators manual. Deere puts these on most of their implements just for this purpose.

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on your purchase.

Here is a link to the Owners Manual online.....I didn't read through it, but it has sections on installation and operation.

OMLVU23696_E0

Did you purchase it new from the dealer? It should have owners / operators manual and Installation Guide.

Also, If it has a black plastic tube mounted on it, about 6" in diameter and maybe 12" to 15" long, look inside this tube for the operators manual. Deere puts these on most of their implements just for this purpose.

Hope this helps....
I checked the manual but it doesn’t go into detail. Yes I did buy it from a dealer new. I’m hoping it’ll have detailed instructions when I pick it up. I was hoping someone had installed one before to kind of give me an idea of how it should go.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on install

I completed the installation of the 485 backhoe attachment on my John Deere 4120 Tractor. It wasn’t difficult at all. It is time consuming for those who have not done it before but if you’re a mechanical person you can do it yourself and save hundreds of dollars.
The instructions are decent but the part numbers are labeled wrong but be patient and look at the pictures not the part labels so much.
I’m disabled and had to have help. There are some heavy parts included. The frame attachment and bucket for example are 75-150lbs. The backhoe is roughly 1500lbs.
With help working when I wasn’t in pain so bad it took me, my brother and my cousin roughly 15 hours to complete. But keep in mind I had to move slowly. A healthy person could probably do it in half that time.
You’ll need a torque wrench up to 260ft lbs. You’ll need sockets up to 1 1/2” and 3/4” socket set if you get the thumb with it.
The rear wheels and fenders will need to be removed to complete install but its no big deal. Just make sure you have a good working jack and JACK STANDS ARE A MUST! Once you take the rear wheels off it’s dangerous. I hope this will help someone with this project. You can do it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts