Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a JD 420W, the hood is solid green but most pictures I find show the 420 as green and yellow.
What determines the color the year, model or is it some other factor
Thanks

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Differing years and models called for different paint schemes. There isn't a pattern per se, but models were similarly painted as they introduced new series of tractors.

Your 420 should look like this. :good2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that is a good looking 420, I hope mine will look that good some day. It is scheduled to be delivered tonight, don't know year yet but it is a slant steer. It has original paint which is an all green dash, and yellow rims
So any model and any year could have an all green or yellow and green dash

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Generally speaking, it's not any year, any model, any paint. It's by "series." For example, the preceding tractor series was called the "number series." The previous version of your was the 40. The later version was the 430 and was part of the "30" series tractors.

Here's a few examples.

40, previous model to your 420.

Then there's the 30 series, the 430 being your tractor's replacement.

Now here's a larger tractor. A 60, part of the "number" series.

A 620, part of the 20 series.

Lastly a 630, part of the 30 series tractors.

See how the series of tractors share the same paint schemes? It's the same today. It's all done by the series.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
Nice looking john deeres.The 420 in 1956 was solid green hood,The '57 was green with a yellow stripe and the '58 was a slant steering with a yellow stripe.They are nice tractors My dad had a new 1957 420T back in the day learned to drive on it. Tim
I wasn't sure of the year or serial number break but the very first 420's were green with no yellow stripe on the hood and radiator shroud.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
Now that is a good looking 420, I hope mine will look that good some day. It is scheduled to be delivered tonight, don't know year yet but it is a slant steer. It has original paint which is an all green dash, and yellow rims
So any model and any year could have an all green or yellow and green dash
All 420 dashes were Green. As best I know, only the 1958 year model had a slanted position steering wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I finally got my 420 home. It is a 1958 420W #130401 I think at some time long ago it was painted solid green.
It has slant steering, five speed transmission, dual lift. It has good straight sheet metal but missing both fenders and left battery cover. Steering wheel seems to be from a car it has a nice oil leak around the left lift arm The tractor cranks and runs good, lift and PTO works. It has been changed to twelve volts. No brakes. It is going to take some time but I think with the help from you guys it will be a fun project

Thanks Jerrel

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I can't wait to see how this unfolds. should be interesting.:munch:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congratulations on your 420 purchase.You are going to enjoy it.You need to get you a owners,and repair manual for it.Also I am just up the road from you in Rex,Ga.For parts you can go to jdparts.com and find the parts manual for it,and the john deere regional parts distribution center is in Mcdonough,Ga.You can pick up parts there if the dealer places the order for you.,again enjoy your 420,Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the parts info, I will keep in mind I have restored a 1939 H and a 1944 LA along with several L/G tractors. It will be some time before I get to the 420 in a big way, I am currently working on a (Model A "Red" Tractor) but will probably jump back and forth
Thanks again guys

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
Now that you mentioned it, everyone is going to want to see pictures of your collection.

Welcome to GTT.

·
Registered
568 Posts
fyi used to be john deere would sell you a new tractor in any color you wanted. back in the good old days. they even sold a bunch to cat in their colors so some are orange under the green:greentractorride:

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Great collection! :thumbup1gif: :greentractorride:

·
Registered
290 Posts
420 series tractors were buildt from 1956 untill 1958.the 1956 year or what John Deere called a series one had no yellow strip along the good like the 57 (series 2)and 58 (series 3) models did that was added in 58 and then their are the industrial models wich usally came in industrial yellow or hiway orange

1956 series 1 (no yellow strip on hood)

1957 series 2 (yellow strip on hood)

1958 series 3 (yellow strip on hood)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts