Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a John Deere 420 17xx hours that smokes after it is used for over an hour. I found oil in the aircleaner I suspect that is what is causing the smoke. The plugs look very good. No oil on them. Compression is 100# on both cylinders. Other than the oil issue it works great.

·
Registered
837 Posts
When was the last time you adjusted the valves on the engine? I suspect they may need to be adjusted to keep the pressure down in the block. I wonder what style of breather you have on it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have never adjusted the valves. I will check the breather as well. Is 100# compression normal on a Onan motor? Not sure what the compression should be. Thanks

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have never adjusted the valves. I will check the breather as well. Is 100# compression normal on a Onan motor? Not sure what the compression should be. Thanks
Is it a b or p series?

·
Registered
51 Posts
To All Concerned:

Spec's for both the Onan B48G and P220G engines call for 75 PSI minimum on the low side to 115 PSI on the high side for compression. You are comfortably in the mid range for either type of these engines................Hope this helps you......................Gary

·
Registered
51 Posts
Onan Compression Specs

Gentlemen;

Really not worth arguing the point. Evidently different issues of Onan service manuals call out different specs (see attached sheets, each taken from Onan service manuals). The most important figure would be the difference from side to side ...........Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Sounds like piston rings could be getting tired.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts