Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1957 420W...5 speed with the continuous running pto. I bought it at an auction, knowing that reverse and one forward gear were out. I figured it was the dreaded cluster gear on the pto shaft that I read on this forum somewhere.

I tore down the transmission, cluster gear had about a 3rd of the teeth sheared of on the big gear, and about half of 2 or 3 teeth on the splines of the input shat were broke off. Hopefully the picture I took when I pulled the shifter cover will show what I was dealing with

I got a service manual, found a "new" cluster gear and input shaft from a bone yard, bought new seals and gaskets. Everything seems to be going back together except I can not get the pto lever snap back and forth when it is all assembled. It wants to stay in the pto engaged position and I can not pull the lever over to the disengage position, unless I remove the front housing cover and pull the big 2 gear cluster out. Seems if the front of the pto shaft has a little bit of slop, the pto lever will move.

Just curious if any one on here has had one of these apart and had this problem and/or can offer any advice?

Light Green Gas Cable Auto part

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi yes i had that issue on my 1958 420c 5 speed. i have the lever but no pto. I believe if I remember correctly that I had the top plate with the shifter in the wrong spot, when i was assembling it I did not have the gears slid right so the forks were binding in the wrong spot. hope it helps!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi yes i had that issue on my 1958 420c 5 speed. i have the lever but no pto. I believe if I remember correctly that I had the top plate with the shifter in the wrong spot, when i was assembling it I did not have the gears slid right so the forks were binding in the wrong spot. hope it helps!
Also make sure you put the shifter plate in AFTER you get the gears in the tranmission. there should be room to slide it down from the top just make sure you get the forks on the correct gears. its not real hard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.