Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 JD 425 has no fuel pressure. Is there a fuse for the fuel pump? I think the pump is in the tank, is that correct? Is there a way to check the pump? Tractor runs if you pour fuel in the carb.

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
There is a fuse and its under the dash. I don't know for sure, but the machine only has a couple of fuses and they are together in the same area, so check the fuses and you will find it. ALso, if your machine is like most, the fuse holders will be full of dirt and dust, so blow them out and put a little die electric grease in there when reinstalling the fuses. When in doubt, replace the fuse. It should use the full sized colored plastic tab style fuses.

The pump is in the tank. I have replaced several of them. If the fuse is blown, its often due to a wire being damaged under the seat, under the "operator platform". Often, mice will chew on things up under there as there is always a ton of grass and dirt up under the operator platform when you remove it.

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
Usually, when the pump fails to work, its either a bad pump or the wire damage. If the fuse is blown, replace it ONLY with the same sized and colored fuse (the color determines the AMP of the fuse). If it blows again, there is a short in the wire and its going to require removing the operator platform to get to it. I can tell you how to do it as easily as possible as I have had quite a few of them off over the years...........

Rarely does a pump "partially run", They either work, or they don't. WHen they don't, it's a 50/ 50 whether its the wiring or the pump itself. The amount of work to perform either repair is the same. Also, the pumps seem to fail about 1,200 hours or so from my experience. In fact, I replaced one at 1,200 hours and then at 2,500 hours on the same machine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I am having a hard time finding the fuse. Also the tractor is very dirty (grease) I would like to power wash it but I am worried about the electrical components getting wet. Is that a concern?

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
Just FYI, the John Deere Part numbers for the fuel pump for the 425 is AM115629 and it sells for $113.55. The pump should come with the pickup filter which attaches to the pump and screens the gas going into the pump. These are usually very tired by time the pump dies.

When you get the fuel pump, open the box while at the dealer and make sure it contains the filter which attaches directly to the end of the pump. If not, its part number M111816 and sells for $16.08. You definitely want to replace that filter when in the tank as the work to get it out isn't worth risking an old filter, trust me. The old filters are usually very corroded and gunked up and restricting fuel flow, which is part of what kills the fuel pump over time...........

I also strongly suggest you replace the large O Ring which seals the fuel tank sending unit to the tank. The O Ring is part number L2301CU and the cost of the ring is $4.48. The Oring will have flattened from being compressed for over 20 years and some even slightly tear when opening the tank the first time since new.

I made the mistake of using an old O-ring on the first one of these I did and sure enough, it caused a small gas leak every time I filled the tractor. You have to take it back apart to replace it, just save yourself the headache and replace it when you are putting in the new fuel pump.

I suggest you take a picture of the orientation of the sending unit in the tank before you disassemble it. The reason is you want to be able to put it back into the tank in the same location to it's not rotated in the tank and pinching wires or pulling on the connection or possibly kinking a fuel line. Attached to this post is an illustration of the parts and pieces in the tank.

There is a large threaded plastic ring which holds the tank sending unit and pump in the tank.

When you are replacing the pump, be very careful with the electrical wires from the tank sending unit. Clean them well when you disconnect the plug to remove the sending unit. Also, make sure the wires are pushed into the plug fully so they make a good contact when you plug it back in. Sometimes the wires have pulled back and aren't making a good connection. Check to make sure the pump is plugged in well under the sending unit, checking that connection closely as well.

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am having a hard time finding the fuse. Also the tractor is very dirty (grease) I would like to power wash it but I am worried about the electrical components getting wet. Is that a concern?
Jackson, you really don't want to spray the area under the dash with a power washer, but the rest of the machine can certainly get wet. You will notice when you remove the side panels, there are electrical components under teh steering wheel area. Those you can use a leaf blower or other compressed air to blow the dirt out, but don't spray with a hose or power washer that would get those items wet.

Let me pull out the Techinical Service Manual and find the fuse location. Give me a few minutes and I will reply.

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
It looks like the fuse panel should be on the right side of the dash as you are sitting on the tractor. It would be near where your right knee would be, on a small square panel that has a couple of diodes and other electrocnic on it. Looking at the schematic, it doesn't appear one of the fuses is for the fuel pump specifically, but they do have what they list as the "Power Fuse" and also the wire for the fuel pump is wired into that same circuit. It appears there are only two fuses, the Light fuse and the power fuse.

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
Here is what the panel looks like where the fuses are found. The two fuses are on the right side of the panel. This is a photo of what the panel looks like as shown in the manual, if memory serves me, its about 4" or 5" square in size and mounted upright as shown

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
Here is the image from the parts manual of what's inside the fuel tank related to the fuel pump, etc. The pump is number 12, the pick up filter is number 13 and the large O Ring I mentioned is number 15. This gives you an idea of how the pieces are assembled in the tank.
Screenshot_2020-09-16 John Deere Parts Catalog.png

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
Is your fuel gauge working in the dash when you turn the key on?

It appears the same wire which powers the fuel gauge is also on the circuit with the fuel pump. If the fuel gauge also isn't working, its likely the "Power Fuse". If the gauge does read the fuel, level when you turn the key on, chances are the pump needs to be replaced.

If you end up having to remove the operator platform to reach the fuel pump, BEFORE replacing the fuel pump, due to it's cost, you should check the power wire from the harness at the fuel tank sending unit to see if there is 12 volts making it to the pump. You can do this with a 12 volt test light.

What you do is attach the ground of the 12 volt test light to a nice clean ground and then use the tip of the light to touch the wire. It looks like the wire to the fuel gauge is black and white and the wire to the fuel pump is pink and white. With the key on, both of those wires should show having 12 volt power. Since they both appear to be wired through the "Power Fuse" on the panel, if one works, the other should unless the wire is damaged in the harness.

If you have never used a 12 volt test light, they usually have a sharp point on the end of the screw driver looking end. You can use that sharp tip to penetrate the wire cover to reach the covered wire to see if its getting power. Just place the wire against something solid and push the point into the wire. Another way, is at the plug, you might be able to use the test light tip to reach the connector in the plug to make sure it has power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts