Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Looking for some advice. I’m looking to replace a 2305 that for me was just a little too light and underpowered for my needs. I’m considering a clean 4WD 4310 that looks well cared for. It has EHydro. I no little to nothing about this model. Anything to be weary of? If I were looking at spending a lot more money, I think I’d be in the market for a 3 family tractor, but this 4310 looks like it might fit the bill. I plan to use it around the property for maintaining about 1,500’ of hilly gravel Driveway, moving fieldstone around, brush piles, dead ash tree work, etc. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
My first John Deere compact tractor was a 4400. It was a higher horsepower, older model of the same frame size as the 4310.
I never had any problems with it. One thing to consider is the loader that is on the 4310. There were 2 loaders available at that time. A 420 loader & 430 loader.
The 430 loader had higher lifting capacity than the 420.

Reactions: jcrist

·
Administrator
18,787 Posts
They are good solid machines, especially if well cared for.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I purchased my 4310 back in 2003. It came with a 430 loader and my options were Frontier Rear Blade and Rake and the 59" John Deere Front snow blower. I've never had any mechanical issues with it. It has Hydro and a Curtis Cab with heater installed.

Its now become a dedicated snow remover and has also served me well in maintaining my gravel driveway which is about 900 feet long, and occasional gravel road work on the road I live on. Get the I-Match Quick load for it.

FredSG

·
Registered
470 Posts
I bought one last December that I cleaned up. It doesn't have any mechanical issues and is easy to operate. The drive by wire ehydro takes some getting used to. They are light in the rear end. Any loader or grapple work will require significant ballast.

It's a fairly capable little tractor but I would rather have a little larger, more powerful machine. My problem is I also have a full size backhoe/loader so small tractors are a bit of a letdown on power.

Reactions: BigJim55 and jcrist

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a 4310 for about 15 years, never a problem, only thing I did to it was normal maintenance.
They are good tractors

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
The range lever is a weak link. It has a groove cut in the shaft and that is where it will break when forced.

Make sure it moves free in all ranges; A, B, & C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts