Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the number of seals, part numbers, etc. to rebuild my cylinder? I plan to cut it open, reseal, then weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Does anyone know the number of seals, part numbers, etc. to rebuild my cylinder? I plan to cut it open, reseal, then weld.

I'm thinking Deere only sells that part as a complete assembly. A hydraulic shop might have them separately.
Good luck

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, I might have trashed this Cylinder... I started cutting in the correct place, but seconded guessed myself, and cut the cylinder about 1/4 inch too low. The problem is the piston will rub across the welded spot, and the alignment would need to be 100% perfect or it would bend. The only other option I know of, is to shorten the Cylinder by 1/4 inch, and then my weld will not effect alignment or rub against the seal. I’m not sure how much my turning radius will be effected. Hahah. Seals for the cylinder will run you about $20 dollars, and about $50 if you want a hydraulic shop to install them. Going forward, I will use a band saw to cut the exact location. I will repair my next cylinder to perfection. Ha... Maybe I can pick one up cheap.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
:dunno: i'm thinking that Sulley Bear said that jd had just gotten his in, from being back ordered for a long time.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Bummer. I hate to see that but I think your right. Hopefully thought you will help someone else in the future who now has seen the inside of the cylinder.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
:dunno: i'm thinking that Sulley Bear said that jd had just gotten his in, from being back ordered for a long time.:dunno:
I remember that back order horror story and was going to mention it. However I couldn't remember who it was that had the problem.

It would have surly bankrupt JD to use a screw on cap to open the cylinder. lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I shortened the cylinder so the weld will not rub the piston. I am headed to a professional welding shop to get their opinion. I will post pictures shortly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I shortened the cylinder so the weld will not rub the piston. I am headed to a professional welding shop to get their opinion. I will post pictures shortly. I will be super happy if I am able to pull this off. The Hydraulic shop said that shortening the cylinder was the only option they could think of also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m going to get my feeling hurt if it doesn’t work. Haha. I lined the piston and the cylinder the best I could, and tacked it into place. I then pulled the piston to the far end of the cylinder. I took my time welding and rotating to minimize heat.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess what??? It works great, and doesn’t leak a drop!! Super Happy!! Really, these cylinders are very easy to repair. Now that I know EXACTLY where to cut, where to weld, and what seals, gaskets, wipers, etc.. to use. The dealer was going to charge $353.00 plus tax for a new cylinder. Grand total would have been $381.00... WOW

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have a spare AWS cylinder that needs rebuilt. Where did you end up getting the seals?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thank you! Yes, I am very happy with my work.

I'm also impressed.....very impressed. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice job and excellent results. Thanks for sharing where you bought your seal kit. I went to their website, but it only talks about the company - there is no commerce section (i.e. a way to buy things). Can you share the manufacturer/part # of the seal kit so that I can source something locally? What type of welding is that? Thanks!

I love it when things are repaired versus thrown away!

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
I am glad the 1/4" shorter worked for you. My thought would have been to buy a new tube and replace the old, too short tube. Just have two ends to weld.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts