Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning - I am looking at buying either a 425 or a 455 produced from 1992 to 2001. Are parts still readily available? The 425 has about 600 hours and the 455 has about 1200 hours. Should I be concerned about the total hours on the 455? Based on everything I have been able to read these are great machines and 1200 hours is nothing on the 455. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
I own a 455 which I bought new. I have never found a part yet I couldn't get and often (90%) of the time my local dealer has them in stock.

Personally, I would buy the 455 because the YANMAR is legendary in it's reliability, performance and fuel effeciency.

Don't let the hours concern you. Mine has 2,600 hours on it and going strong. I have seen the 455 with as many as 8,000 hours on them.

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be glad to address them as would just about anyone else here on the forum.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The 4x5 series are a good tractor. As they are aging now, I would make sure yur handy with a wrench. Labor times are hefty if a major failure occurs. Parts shouldn't be an issue other than $. The Yanmar in the 455 is a dependable engine. Dealing with a diesel is different from a gasser. So just be advised. Seems like I have worked on alot of 4x5's this last season. I guess they are hitting that age. Couple years ago I was buried in 316, 318's.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up the 455 yesterday...very happy with it so far. Today I picked up a 42" Hydraulic Tiller. The 455 does not have a three point hook up. Other then the 3 point hook up option is there a special attachment that is needed to hook up the tiller? What is the best rig for set up?

I appreciate all the help out there. I hate sounding like a newby. I am also looking for a parts manual and operating manual if anyone has one electronically they would like to share.

Thank you,

Ed

·
Premium Member
14,701 Posts
I picked up the 455 yesterday...very happy with it so far. Today I picked up a 42" Hydraulic Tiller. The 455 does not have a three point hook up. Other then the 3 point hook up option is there a special attachment that is needed to hook up the tiller? What is the best rig for set up?

I appreciate all the help out there. I hate sounding like a newby. I am also looking for a parts manual and operating manual if anyone has one electronically they would like to share.

Thank you,

Ed
Congrats on your 455, :ttiwwp:
Here is JD website for downloading manual
John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Equipment List

1 - 8 of 8 Posts