Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright John Deere folks. Purchased a 5100M brand new, currently has 17 hours. This is the second time I have had the Blue I light come on (I believe it’s the information light). When this light comes on the tractor shifts to neutral, all electronics turn off- meaning no radio a/c or lights. Smelled electrical smell so I pulled key out of ignition and it wouldn’t even turn off. When I had the problem previously dealership said it was a ground issue. But 7 hours later I’m having the same problem. Hoping someone has a solution as I need to blade driveway. It has a foot of snow on it. Already checked fuel filter, it’s not jelled diesel is also treated. Any suggestions to get me back and running?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
your manual or the online manual will tell you what the light indicates.

so you pulled the key out and its still running .......(is it out of fuel yet?)(how did you get it to stop running ?)

all electronics turning off could indicate a bad key switch or relay/fuse, loose connection or wire...

at 17hrs it needs a service call under warranty....

not sure why you would mention the possibility of gelled fuel if your having a electrical problem...

the dealer may be correct in that its a ground issue.......and he is going to trace it and fix it when?

i know this is not much help but your description of the problem needs much more specific detail

my 5105m didnt like me today and gelled some (treated) fuel up so back to the shed for her till warmer weather (was 0 for a high here today)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Alright John Deere folks. Purchased a 5100M brand new, currently has 17 hours. This is the second time I have had the Blue I light come on (I believe it’s the information light). When this light comes on the tractor shifts to neutral, all electronics turn off- meaning no radio a/c or lights. Smelled electrical smell so I pulled key out of ignition and it wouldn’t even turn off. When I had the problem previously dealership said it was a ground issue. But 7 hours later I’m having the same problem. Hoping someone has a solution as I need to blade driveway. It has a foot of snow on it. Already checked fuel filter, it’s not jelled diesel is also treated. Any suggestions to get me back and running?
My 5090M (2019 model) did the exact same thing right around 20 hours. I didn’t recall what that light meant, so I shut the tractor off, and restarted it and it has never came back on. Best I rem. It was a blue light with a (i) icon.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I could swallow all of that except the part about the tractor running after the key switch is turned off. That means the fuel shut off didn't shutoff which means you probably do have a ground issue at best or a serious electrical issue at worse. 17 hours...they would be on their way to me or already there. I have a starting issue with mine a few weeks ago. They came right out, found and fixed my problem.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I could swallow all of that except the part about the tractor running after the key switch is turned off. That means the fuel shut off didn't shutoff which means you probably do have a ground issue at best or a serious electrical issue at worse. 17 hours...they would be on their way to me or already there. I have a starting issue with mine a few weeks ago. They came right out, found and fixed my problem.
yes it would be nice to have meaningful information to work from.......usually the fuel solinoid is held open when energized from the key thru a relay so a power interuption or ground issue would cause the tractor to shut down not keep running........i wish he would come back when he gets the issue resolved and let us know the diagnosis ...or bring some logical information to the table

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
My first reaction to this situation would be a phone call to the dealer. Up to the dealer to get a mechanic to the tractor. He sold you a tractor that is unable to blade the drive, so it is on him to get to the tractor, even if he has to bring a tractor to blade the drive.

Sorry, I would be so uptight on something like except that at 17 hours, this is the second time already.

Dave

Reactions: ttazzman and Yank

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
My first reaction to this situation would be a phone call to the dealer. Up to the dealer to get a mechanic to the tractor. He sold you a tractor that is unable to blade the drive, so it is on him to get to the tractor, even if he has to bring a tractor to blade the drive.

Sorry, I would be so uptight on something like except that at 17 hours, this is the second time already.

Dave
I agree. I know he wants to clear the driveway but getting this new tractor sorted out trumps the snow. At 17 hours, I wouldn’t be touching a thing. The dealership would.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. I know he wants to clear the driveway but getting this new tractor sorted out trumps the snow. At 17 hours, I wouldn’t be touching a thing. The dealership would.
Just figured I would update you guys. I called dealership last night. Made it to my house at about 4:45 p.m., after 10 inches of snow last night (I’m just glad they came). The mechanic checked some ground connections and battery terminals. Plugged it into computer and it’s not throwing any codes. Supposed to be back tomorrow to go through it deeper. Hopefully they will find the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just figured I would update you guys. I called dealership last night. Made it to my house at about 4:45 p.m., after 10 inches of snow last night (I’m just glad they came). The mechanic checked some ground connections and battery terminals. Plugged it into computer and it’s not throwing any codes. Supposed to be back tomorrow to go through it deeper. Hopefully they will find the issue.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you smelled an electrical smell, and the tractor kept running after you turned off the ignition, you have shorted wires. Look in the fuse box behind and left of the seat. I'll bet you'll find something wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if a rodent hasn't gotten in there and chewed something.

Reactions: Yank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you smelled an electrical smell, and the tractor kept running after you turned off the ignition, you have shorted wires. Look in the fuse box behind and left of the seat. I'll bet you'll find something wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if a rodent hasn't gotten in there and chewed something.
Already checked fuse box, no luck. I’m thinking it’s the circuit board behind steering console. However, you thought it would’ve thrown a code.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
if it kept running after key was off....that means the fuel solinoid was getting power after the key should have turned it off...so the key switch could be shorted...or a power wire somewhere along the fuel solenoid circuit ......i would probably start at the fuel solenoid and work my way back looking for physical issues ......i would probably start at the solinoid relay and test it to see if it was working correctly and not sticking closed

·
Registered
645 Posts
One of the problems we face with these new tractors is that if the techs plug into the ECM and don't get any codes or indication of what the issue is they are stumped. They are trained to diagnose on the laptops and have very few troubleshooting instincts that we all learned when that was the only way to fix something. Good luck and hopefully that doesn't turn into a cluster**** like it has the potential to do. Please keep us informed. We are all very interested in how this goes.

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
It wouldn’t be the first time someone had a faulty key switch.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Very true. I can't think of anything else that would allow the tractor to run after it was shut off with the exception of a short to a power source which is unlikely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update #2 After a second full day of being down - they still can’t find the issue. Dealership is hauling tractor in, so they can break down piece by piece and giving me a loaner in the meantime.

·
Registered
645 Posts
At least you are getting something to run. Hopefully it's a good one. Good luck and please let us 5 series guys know what the issue was when they get it resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, what was the outcome? I have a new 5075e that had a service call 2 hours after delivery.
the foot throttle was Inop. And turned out that a harness was crushEd at the factory during
cab installation. Tech found the problem in under 15 minutes.
He did a splice repair and all good now. Next time in the shop they will replace the harness.
Cheers, Mac

·
Registered
274 Posts
IDK if this is your issue, but when I first got my 18 5075E I was getting this exclamation point light. The powerreverser would work and the tractor was acting stupid. It was real bad if a female was driving. I started getting the feeling that a seat sensor wasn't registering enough weight in the seat so I loosened the stuffiness of the seat and problem solved. As it came from the factory when you would sit on it even my 190-200 lb butt wouldn't compress the seats suspension much at all and I think it need some movement to register someone sitting down or a safety switch tells the computer that someone not sitting and the tractors moving so it starts taking operations offline.

Maybe not your issue, but something to consider.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts