Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor wants to donate this stuff to me. Any idea what it would take to make this work on my 1025R?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Busman. I went and picked it up and everything seems to be in pretty good shape. The directional discharge chute looks like it needs a little love, I noticed a cable wrapped around it. I'm assuming there is a hydraulic provision to rotate the chute.....I need to take a closer look. I'll take some pics later today.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Thank you Busman. I went and picked it up and everything seems to be in pretty good shape. The directional discharge chute looks like it needs a little love, I noticed a cable wrapped around it. I'm assuming there is a hydraulic provision to rotate the chute.....I need to take a closer look. I'll take some pics later today.
The chute is already hydraulic. A cylinder moves sheeves which in turn pulls on the cable. It’s a silly design but they’ve been using it on all the front blowers for years.

You will want to verify the rotation direction of the PTO to see if it matches your tractor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The chute is already hydraulic. A cylinder moves sheeves which in turn pulls on the cable. It’s a silly design but they’ve been using it on all the front blowers for years.

You will want to verify the rotation direction of the PTO to see if it matches your tractor.
I will certainly doublecheck. Based on the link provided above it looks like it is mostly a bolt-on affair with the exception of a couple spacers and selling 2 new holes on the blower frame.

I tried to reach out to that gentleman that started the thread, but I have not heard back yet.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your project come to life. Please keep us apprised of your progress. Good luck.

The original poster 'Simers' hasn't been on line since May 2017., so not sure if you will be able to link up with him again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just got the bucket off of the tractor and I’m starting to look at this again. I guess I was motivated by the 6 inches of snow we got today. Here are a few pictures of what I am up against.

I’m assuming the top two bolts on the mount go through the frame rail. There are two current holes that are spaced consistent with the snowblower mount, but they are well undersized. I know the other fellow that did this mentioned 1.75” square tuning inch square tubing, but I don’t see how that would work to space between the frame rail and the blower amount.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Just got the bucket off of the tractor and I’m starting to look at this again. I guess I was motivated by the 6 inches of snow we got today. Here are a few pictures of what I am up against.
I could be mistaken but it appears the impeller on that blower turns the opposite direction of the 47/54-inch blowers currently used on the 1-series. In other words, all new blowers have the chute on the right side of the impeller housing and the impeller rotates CCW. Your chute is on the left side of the impeller housing which would require the impeller to turn CW.

Have you check to ensure your PTO turns in the correct direction?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll check today. Things should be thawed out this morning since I parked it in the shop. I also noticed that “simers” (the other guy that posted / did this job) mentioned his blower mount was 9.5” wide, so his reference to 1.75” tubing makes sense. My blower mount is wider at around 11.25”

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at the PTO shaft underneath the tractor it rotates counterclockwise. If I stand behind the snowblower and turn the shaft counter clockwise the impeller does indeed rotate in the correct direction. I would say that the gearbox changes the rotation ultimately. Hope that make sense.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Looking at the PTO shaft underneath the tractor it rotates counterclockwise. If I stand behind the snowblower and turn the shaft counter clockwise the impeller does indeed rotate in the correct direction. I would say that the gearbox changes the rotation ultimately. Hope that make sense.
That sounds encouraging. I didn't realize that blower had a gearbox that reversed the PTO direction. As I'm sure you know, if you stand in front of a PTO shaft and it rotates CCW, that makes it rotate CW when standing behind it.

On the newer 47/54-inch blowers, the chain and sprockets that drive the impeller do not reverse the PTO direction.

But... as long as your impeller is going the correct direction it should shoot out snow! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone know how thick these are?

JD LVU25908

I’ve got about a 1” gap on each side of the snowblower mount.

Looks like these brackets will be fine where they bolt up to the tractor, but I also need a measurement for the lower slot and larger hole (center to center) where the snowblower mount would attach.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Watch the location of the pto drive shaft on the new to you blower mount, verses the location of where the long shaft connecting to the mid mount PTO on your tractor is going to be oriented based upon the connection points, etc. The 1 series brings the PTO shaft from the rear point where it connects, pretty low to the ground.

The 1 series carries the snow blower under the front tractor frame rails, verses many of those Deere products using a quick hitch carry the unit out in front of the frame rails.

When I first saw your new to you blower, the thought of modifying it for the 3PH flashed through my mind. But the PTO speeds are very different with those blowers intended to hang on the front of the machines running off the mid PTO in the 2,200 RPM range where the rear blowers running off the rear PTO are intended to spin at 540 rpm, which would make the compatibility an issue. It just appears that mounting it as a 3ph blower would be much easier than building a front hitch mount and PTO carrier assembly.

Watch the PTO shaft drive line isn't obstructed by steering components, which is partly why the 1 series carries the front PTO implements so low.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
As suspected, the LVU25908 brackets bolt up to the tractor just fine. The problem is with the spacing for the blower drive bolts, they are spaced at 4” on the bracket and 4.75” on the blower drive unit. Also the spacing between the frame mount holes on the bracket and the blower mount hole and slot needs to be increased to have enough room to avoid interference with the flanged nuts. Lastly the brackets needed to be roughly 2x as thick to make up the gap between the frame and blower drive unit.

So I made a drawing with what I thought would be appropriate dimensions for everything and then had a guy at work whip up a Solidworks file. I just took this off the 3-D printer this morning and will attempt to verify the dimensions in a little while.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
A little thinner on the brackets (.90625”) and l I think I’ll have it whooped. I also test fit the driveshaft and it looks like that will work just fine, also rotated the steering through its range of motion and the arm clears with plenty of room.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Success. I just need a clever idea on how to make this lift higher. There is about 2.5” of clearance from the ground to the blower skids with the lift cylinder fully collapsed. Open to ideas.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Dyno Don,

It looks like you did all right to fab up a new set of brackets. I think the biggest part of your lift problem is that the frame of the 1025 sits closer to the ground than my 955 which also has the 59 blower. One suggestion would be to adjust the skid shoes so that they sit closer to the bottom of the blower housing. Unbolt the shoes, reverse them, and place the bottom bolt in the bottom hole on the shoe. This will give you about 1/2" of clearance under the cutting edge in use, but you will gain about 1" of clearance under the heel of the shoe.

Dave

·
Registered
287 Posts
Dyno Dan,

Another option for skid show clearance would be to get a set of side mount skid shoes and remove the rear mount skid shoes.

I was out to the shed earlier today and looked at my 955/59 snowblower. As I stated earlier, the front wheels of my 955 look like they are as tall as the rear tires on your 1025, not even close to the front tires.

A couple of years ago, I had the 59 and 47 blowers side by side, and realized the impeller housing that the lift mechanism bolts to were identical on both machines. I got to thinking about swapping out the lift arms and I could put the 59 on the 420. And then reality set in. I didn't think about lift height, although in my case, the mounts on the 420 are high to begin with as they are part of the frame, so lift height would be the same on either machine. I just became concerned that the 420 didn't have enough oomph to spin the blower with a mouthful of snow. My son "borrowed" my 955 last year to clean the hydrants in his neighborhood and he says that the diesel never even buckles down. He has to clean the hydrants , as neither the city nor the utility district have the time to open up the hydrants. He is a firefighter/paramedic, and they always get one fire every winter where the nearest hydrant can't even be located, let alone accessed. I guess until they lose a house belonging to a Councilor, they will continue to not find the time to clean them. In the words of Sheldon Cooper, "SARCASM?"

Daver

1 - 20 of 35 Posts