Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a broom on my 1565. I was brushing too much snow yesterday and I broke something. Everything works great until I get to the broom itself. The driveshafts, drive gears, chain, etc all turn and work as they should. The problem is that the shaft turns inside the broom.
Is there some sort of key that welds into one of these holes? The broom spins on the shaft on the drive side. The other side it spins with the shaft. You can see a keyway in the shaft in the middle of the hole.
There are no holes that go all the way through for a shear bolt.
The opposite side of these holes has a plug welded in it, so the hole doesn't go all the way through the broom either.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,914 Posts
Welcome to GTT.

I'd say you broke a shear bolt, which is designed to protect the expensive parts of the implement. Shear bolts are usually just garden variety Grade 2 bolts one gets at the hardware store.

·
Super Moderator
5,196 Posts
Looking at JDParts, it looks like there is supposed to be a key on the shaft. If you are standing in front of it, the keyed end should be on the right. The key should be on the end of the shaft right at the drive gear.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I have a broom on my 1565. I was brushing too much snow yesterday and I broke something. Everything works great until I get to the broom itself. The driveshafts, drive gears, chain, etc all turn and work as they should. The problem is that the shaft turns inside the broom.
Is there some sort of key that welds into one of these holes? The broom spins on the shaft on the drive side. The other side it spins with the shaft. You can see a keyway in the shaft in the middle of the hole.
There are no holes that go all the way through for a shear bolt.
The opposite side of these holes has a plug welded in it, so the hole doesn't go all the way through the broom either.
I am confused, the brush has two halves and a through shaft? I am not seeing any of this on JDParts.

Broom one.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to GTT.

I'd say you broke a shear bolt, which is designed to protect the expensive parts of the implement. Shear bolts are usually just garden variety Grade 2 bolts one gets at the hardware store.
From what I can tell there are no shear bolts on the broom itself. There is no hole for a shear bolt.

Looking at JDParts, it looks like there is supposed to be a key on the shaft. If you are standing in front of it, the keyed end should be on the right. The key should be on the end of the shaft right at the drive gear.
I looked at the same diagram, it is my belief that the key is for the gear, #40. It looks to me like they show the key going on the end of the shaft, and the gear going over the key.

I am confused, the brush has two halves and a through shaft? I am not seeing any of this on JDParts.

View attachment 279801
The brush that I have is one piece, we will call it #35 according to that diagram, of course with a lot of #34's on it. There is a shaft that is going through it, but maybe that is supposed to be a permanent part of the broom. My broom is turning on that shaft. So maybe it's as easy as welding it where the hole that I picture is. Maybe those holes are there just for that reason, to weld the shaft to the broom.

·
Premium Member
14,885 Posts
Is #36 a key for the shaft. ?

·
Super Moderator
5,196 Posts
Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
84 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts