Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a vertical deck storage solution for my 60D mower deck.

I reviewed the 'Mower Deck Axle' from the vendor in this forum as well as the 'Deck Dolly.'

The Deck Dolly seems like the easy 'one-man' storage solution, but is fairly expensive.

The Mower Deck Axle, from the vendor here, looks 'ok'.... but I am perplexed as to why it wasn't designed with 'swivel' wheels.

I saw this guy's axle solution and it seems to make perfect sense, but I do not see that he actually 'sells' them....

Are there any swivel stand solutions out there??? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceHFk_6mR08

·
Registered
23,260 Posts
My initial thought -

With swivel wheels - if you end up pushing the deck toward the wide side - instead of toward the narrow side like in the video - the deck can fall over easily if one wheel gets caught in a crack or something. That’s a lot of weight to come down on your foot!

·
Registered
558 Posts
thumbnail.jpg

After seeing some of the great ideas on this forum, I cobbled these together on a Saturday afternoon. Used scrap tubing and bought the castors.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just a reminder, whichever method you choose, when storing vertically, be sure to remove the breather valve/cap on the gearbox and replace it with a solid plug or you'll have a bit of a mess on your floor come spring. Ask me how I know. I got my plug at Home Depot, they're readily available.

·
Administrator
18,471 Posts
I used Larry's Mower Axles for over 10 years when I had my 4110 with a 60" deck, I never felt the need for swiveling wheels. The hard plastic ones that he used slide well enough on concrete when you lift the deck slightly to scootch it up again the wall or otherwise position it. Of course I wasn't moving it everyday either, just a couple of time in the off season when they were used.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am looking for a vertical deck storage solution for my 60D mower deck.

I reviewed the 'Mower Deck Axle' from the vendor in this forum as well as the 'Deck Dolly.'

The Deck Dolly seems like the easy 'one-man' storage solution, but is fairly expensive.

The Mower Deck Axle, from the vendor here, looks 'ok'.... but I am perplexed as to why it wasn't designed with 'swivel' wheels.

I saw this guy's axle solution and it seems to make perfect sense, but I do not see that he actually 'sells' them....

Are there any swivel stand solutions out there??? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceHFk_6mR08

He sells them and I've bought 3 sets so far (one set as a gift). They make deck moving easy for me.

This is from his website

·
Registered
256 Posts
I second Kenny’s impressions. I also have a set of snowmobile dollies (bought at my local Costco), so if I need to do some complicated manoeuvring of my mower deck in the garage I lift it enough to slide one of these under one end, and it drives more like a shopping cart.

My dollies are like these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-1500-lb-Capacity-Steel-Snowmobile-Dolly-Set-80025/204168141

==Grizzler

I used Larry's Mower Axles for over 10 years when I had my 4110 with a 60" deck, I never felt the need for swiveling wheels. The hard plastic ones that he used slide well enough on concrete when you lift the deck slightly to scootch it up again the wall or otherwise position it. Of course I wasn't moving it everyday either, just a couple of time in the off season when they were used.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I've had several sets of Larry's moweraxles.com. Like Kenny, I found the hard plastic wheels slide across the concrete floor without too much effort. I'm thinking something that has swivel wheels, casters, would need fairly long axles to provide the stability to prevent tip overs. The long axles somewhat defeat the purpose of saving floor space by storing vertically.

There are some shortcomings with moweraxles on my 54D decks. They don't provide much ground clearance from the autoconnect rod release lever, less than an inch. So I have to be mindful of that when rolling over anything that is not a flat surface and lift one end of the deck to prevent the release lever from dragging. A taller wheel would help, but they are supplied with 5" diameter wheels and I'm speculating that is the limit of what he can source in a hard plastic wheel.

The last set of axles I purchased last year were not plated. I questioned Larry about this and he indicated all three of the local platers he had been utilizing went out of business. So he is just spraying them with some type of clear coating. Of course, this won't last long. So if the deck is stored in a humid environment or outdoors, the axles are going to rust quickly.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
61 Posts
The swiveling axles that I have won't tip unless I was to block the casters from rolling and push with considerable force on the front end of the deck.

I can store these two decks in less floor space than one deck.

View attachment 714232

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was looking at the Deck Dolly too but just could not justify the cost. Great idea and execution... but a bit pricey. So I raided my scrap barrel and found some 1" O.D. square tube and some thin-wall round tube (old flag pole or something??). The square tube fits in the holes for the deck wheels but had a little bit of play. The thin-wall round tube slid perfectly over the square tube and took up the play and made for a snug fit. Found four swivel wheels at the local Horrible Freight and bolted them to the square stock. Just have to take the nut off one wheel to install which takes less than a minute. The spring pin for the deck wheels holds them in place through a drilled hole. They work great for storing the deck vertically and moving it around. Very stable... I don't have any fear of it tipping over (I actually tried to see if I could but they won't tip). I have a 54D deck but should be the same for the 60D. I think I have about $15 in the wheels. Everything else was already in my scrap barrel.

Here are a few pics:

Deck-Wheels-ER1sm.jpg

Deck-Wheels-ER2sm.jpg

Reactions: glc

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
So how do you get the deck up on the axles. At 70 by brute force isn't what it used to be.
If you have the 60 Mower Deck and a FEL w/forks, you can add "Load-n-Go" brackets to the 60 Mower deck. In this manner you can utilize the FEL to perform the brute force. If you have the 54 deck, you'll have to rely on the neighbor kid.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My neighbor somehow uses a cherry picker like this to lift his 7 iron deck. Jimbea what model of deck do you have? 1 1/2 people can pretty easily lift a 60" HC. I am still able to tilt the deck up myself to stand it up so I can roll it around on the swiveling deck axles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts